Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

I have a really hard time making New Year's Resolutions.
I tend to make too many & too big of goals. Then I have to live with the shame of dumping the whole lot of them.
Every year for family night about this time of year we write down our individual goals, family goals, & update our list of 100 things we want to do in our lifetime- we made those lists years ago. I am so glad we did.
It's really fun to check off something on your 100 list. Especially watching the kids realize they have accomplished a life time goal. My husband is way into setting and achieving his goals. He's really good at it. He has set up a system on spreadsheet to track his goals & progress. Once in a while he makes a spreadsheet for me...
It's not that I'm lazy, or too busy-(my favorite excuse of the past), I just have little motivation for change I guess. I like me- I accept most of my faults- although I beat myself up regularly about not taking care of myself. I am not a perfectionist- the real problem I guess. I learned a long time ago that having six children (accept for the really big stuff)I needed to be flexible & not too picky about things, or I would just go crazy.
So I am thinking of what goals I really feel like tackling.
I would love some feedback.
Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't excel (ha - PUN intended) at resolutions myself. so this year i am really, REALLY going to focus on the word i have chosen: open. i *resolve* to be open. in every way.

do you have a word?

patsy said...

I'm sticking with BALANCE since I didn't choose a work until September. The beginning of the school year feels like more of a new beginning in some ways then the new year for me. I guess I'm just a kid at heart.
I like the word OPEN- good one.

Mrs. McDaniel said...

I like the idea of the Lifetime 100I might try to do that with my family this year. The kids are getting a little older. I have a few goals I am going to work on this year but nothing huge.

I don't know about picking a word I can't decide on one.

Jill said...

It doesn't sound like you need resolutions to help motivate you to change, because you're pretty happy with the way things are. How refreshing to know that someone likes themselves and isn't looking to turn into a new person.

I don't feel like I'm big on resolutions, but I do like the idea of listing areas I'd like to improve in. I find blogging to be hugely helpful for this because I'm sharing my goals/intentions with a lot of people, have a record of them so that I can't forget about them, and can receive feedback regarding my successes and failures. I think I enjoy the process of having a mental meeting with myself at the beginning of the year (or whenever I feel like it) to do a progress report of sorts.