Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Trent's Second Grade Christmas Play

Trent's second grade class put on a Christmas play today. It was about a toy shop full of toys who wouldn't be given to children for Christmas. The moral of the play was that it's not what you get but what you give- especially love not wrapped presents- for Christmas. It was so darn cute! Three fifth graders directed it along with the help of Trent's teacher, who in my opinion should be woman of the year! She is so great. They have been having practice after school twice a week- like she doesn't have other things to do. Being in a play like this is so good for a little guy with a communication problem. She's been teaching for 27 years & she's still got it. Trent loves her & it shows by how much progress he is making this year.
All the students "tried" out for a part. There were several solo singing parts. Trent got the part of toy soldier. There were five toy soldiers. At one of the practices his teacher must have mentioned their costumes because Trent came home bound and determined that he REALLY NEEDED his superman costume from Halloween for the play. I kept asking him- are you sure your teacher wants you to wear your superman costume, since you are a toy soldier? I let him take it & then got an email that night from his teacher asking if I really wanted Trent to be a "superman toy soldier- lol."I promptly replied NO please tell him he won't believe me. I guess he heard they were wearing costumes & thought - hey I've got one of those! He is so funny.This morning when it was time to get ready... he was supposed to wear a white shirt & dark pants. He insisted on wearing an over sized white t-shirt. What? NO you are supposed to wear your white church shirt! He hates his white church shirt so I let him take both & left a message about the incident with the office to tell his teacher. Sure enough she told him to wear it & no problem. Teachers have so much authority. It's a good thing I don't homeschool because apparently my kids don't believe a word I say starting in second grade. So annoying!
They all did a great job!

I love things like this!

I am so glad Trent had this opportunity this year.

3 comments:

Jill said...

That's so funny about Trent wanting to wear his Superman costume. It's a good thing you and the teacher are in cahoots with each other, otherwise you'd probably both think the other one was crazy.

The videos are funny. I just came from my kids' program and it was darling.

wende said...

kids' programs and recitals are one of the things i LIVE for as a parent! i am such a cheese, but i get a little weepy at every single one of them! i feel that little wave of reality - that's my kid up there- kind of a feeling, my chest swells with pride and i am overwhelmed with gratitude for the opportunity to be their mother. my heart skips a beat and i have to fight back the burning eyes. no actual tears yet, but swollen chest and burning eyes are common occurrence. good job with the shirt situation, you handled it beautifully! we're so lucky to have judy, what a dream.

Kristy said...

I am glad to see someone's camera can take pictures in the cafeteria at the school. The play was sooo cute the kids did a super job.