Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Food & Coat Drive- Great Good Mail

I knew it was going to be a good day today- but this put it over the top. Today I got a fabulous good mail package from Michelle. She made these beautiful tags & sent me some. I can't believe it- I love blogging- I love these tags. I think they are just about the cutest Christmas tags I have ever seen.
Thanks Michelle I absolutely love them! A couple of years ago when I was the PTA president at the elementary school we started a food & winter clothes drive. Usually I am really involved. This year the student council was in charge- great job for them- & all I got to do was the really fun part- deliver the goods!
The kids filled the back of my mini van with the food. (this is the second food drive this year, the first one was just before Thanksgiving)

Chloe had to get in & move it back, there was so much.


413 lbs. to be exact. They took over 500 lbs. last month too! Not too shabby.

I went back for the coats, boots, snow pants, hats, glove, etc. Last year we didn't collect coats I thought maybe we had over done it. We did it this year & what a load!!

I was worried I wouldn't be able to see out the back window.

Totally full! This is a great project for an elementary school. So many kids grow out of this stuff & others really need it.
I am so happy I could deliver it. I feel bad the kids didn't get to go. It was so fun to take it to where it needed to be. Even though it was small I am so glad I could help this year.


5 comments:

Amanda :-) said...

It's brilliant that you can find a home for all those clothes. I'm quickly realising that I live in a fairly affluent area and you can't even give stuff away! It's really annoying me. I have baby equipment that I've hardly used (crib, steriliser etc) and just can't find homes for them. I even emailed the vicar of our sister-church which is based in the centre of a fairly run-down estate. I felt sure there must be young mums there who would need things like this...but she said she'd get back to me and hasn't. What's that about??

A brilliant exercise in responsibility and organisation for this project to be handed over to the student council too. Well done!

Jill said...

Hooray, good mail from Michelle is always a treat and those tags are painfully cute aren't they? I'm so glad she sent you some. Mail like that will put a spring in your step eh?

It looks like your food and clothing drive was a huge success, it's ridiculous how many coats and extras we all have lying around when so many people don't have enough. I always feel good helping out with those things.

Janae said...

Wow! This looks like wonderful success this year! Thanks for all you do for our school Patsy. I think this is a really awesome project for our school. I am glad the tradition has been kept alive. I hope it will remain a tradition for our school:)
btw- I tagged you...check it out:)

Beth said...

Great Job... brilliant giving the student council that leadership opportunity!

The Christmas tags are too cool!

wende said...

i'm so jealous of your good mail from michelle! you lucky girl you! awesome job on the food and coat drive, you are such an asset to our school patsy, seriously. i remember when you were president and said at back to school night the reason you were starting service projects was because service to others is how children develope self-esteem. i have never forgotten that, it changed the way i served others, always include the kids in everything now. good job.