Monday, December 3, 2007

Trimming The Tree

Yesterday during our Sunday devotional (every- most- Sunday's we have a little recap of the day & a spiritual thought, scripture study or discussion) we watched the
then trimmed the tree.
The devotional was just so beautiful. It was just what I needed at the beginning of this Christmas Season. The music was fabulous, I love when the symphony plays with the choir, and the talks so perfect. I kept thinking of the missionary, knowing he was watching it too, wondering if he was homesick at that very moment, and hoping he was at least sitting with someone from home. (two good friends are now at the MTC too) During one of the songs Brett had us all kneel & we prayed for Brian as a family. We prayed that he would be comforted & know that we love him & that He loves him. I cried, Brett cried, the kids looked at us like we were just a little crazy. They're young & blest & don't yet know what it's like to feel alone, especially at Christmas. I just don't want the missionary to feel alone at Christmas and I know he won't... but he may have during the devotional.
Elder Erying's talk was particularly meaningful for me.
"What our God for us hath done in sending His beloved Son...
Because of the gift of His birth, my heart could be changed to become again like that of a little child pure, clean & fit to go home again to the God who gave us a Savior so we could go home again... If go so loved us we are also to love one another. We can choose on this Christmas & all the days to follow to feel that light & that love. We can choose to have our sins washed away in the waters of baptism and to receive the Holy Ghost & as we do we will feel the love of God who gave us the gift of his Son. A feeling of love for His Son- who is the light of the world- & love for one another. We sing of that light & that love at Christmas. The Saviors birth is a gift which makes it possible for the father to give us peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come."

I am so thankful for this Christmas season.
As a new mother I remember feeling such compassion for Mary & all she went through bringing her first born son into this world in a manger and under such difficult circumstances. Now as a mother I feel such love for God. For giving us His Son. How oh how did He do it? How did Mary...? I am so thankful, so grateful, so in awe of the blessings around me.

I have a testimony that God lives. That His Son Jesus Christ lives. That He knows us, each and everyone. That he will not leave us alone. Not at Christmas, not anytime.
I feel His love in my life. All around me even in the difficult times- which there have been a few.
But, I am not complaining. I love living.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

megan says the comments don't work? Just checking.

Beth said...

What a beautiful testimony! I love this post!!

wende said...

what a beautiful post patsy! i love that impromptu prayer during the song, what an awesome priesthood leader you have in your home...some day right? :)

Jill said...

Watching the Christmas broadcast is a great tradition. We haven't done that before, but can start. (I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.)

It's so sweet that your family knelt to pray for Brian. I'm sure your kids will remember that in the future when they're alone and missing you guys, they'll remember how much you love and care for them. So sweet.