Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Today I taught what is probably the most famous/popular children's song in the LDS world to the primary kids. (For those of you who don't regularly read my blog, I teach music to children on Sundays at church. We call the Sunday school for 3-11 "Primary")

I Am A Child Of God.
I am a child of God
And He has sent me here.
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind & dear.
(chorus)
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with Hims someday.

I am a child of God
And so my needs are great
Help me to understand His word
Before it grows too late

I am a child of God
Rich blessings are in store
If I but learn to do His will
I'll live with Him once more.
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me, help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with Him someday.

There is so much to be learned from this song.
We are literal children of God.
We lived with Him & will live with Him again someday.
We are here for a purpose.
He loves us...
the simple lessons from this song go on & on.

Today as I was finishing up it just hit me-
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me
Help me find the way.
This is truly how our Saviour would have us treat His children-
each other.
Lead - Guide- Walk Beside-Help
It doesn't say... yell, force, demand, manipulate.
I truly believe we Lead, Guide by example. Just as He did- whether we know it or not.
I started out dreading teaching today. I am so glad I did it anyway.

*any thoughts?

3 comments:

wende said...

i have always loved this song, i love it's simple message and i'm so excited that it's the primary theme this year. i think knowing that we are children of god is part of having self-esteem because it's related to our self-worth. kids that feel good about themselves make good choices because they feel worthy of good things. i love primary music.

Beth said...

I went to a funeral of an elderly man this weekend, and he asked this song be sung. It was so beautiful! It even more meaning to me. We will need Jesus to lead, guide, and walk beside us even after we leave this earth I would imagine.

I love that it is the Primary Theme this year!

It's so cool you love your calling, it would be one of complete terror for me! Good thing God knows us really well.

:)

Jill said...

It's a very powerful and beautiful song, and one that we learn so early on that we sometimes forget to think about what we're singing.

You should read Jen's blog about her little boy coming home from his first day as a Sunbeam singing it.
http://vivayeni.blogspot.com/2008/01/jesus-got-kellen-for-sunbeam.html