Thursday, January 17, 2008

OUCH

I donate blood at the Red Cross whenever they call me or there is a drive at my church. It's no big deal- it doesn't hurt- they give you treats- hey it only takes about a half hour.
After five kidney stones- ya, you read that right- FIVE kidney stones (all pregnancy related) I have a pretty high tolerance for pain- or at least I thought I did. I guess she hit a tendon on accident.
I've given blood loads of times & I've never had a problem.
Oh my gosh it hurt so bad my eyes were watering & I was gritting my teeth like my dad does... (I think my arm was just frozen. It is so cold here that I wouldn't be surprised) so they went to the other arm-
No big deal again- feeeewwwww!
*Do you donate blood?
Really it's a GREAT thing to do!
*is it cold at your house? It is SO COLD HERE-
(if this is the last blog you see from me... it's because I froze to death.)

5 comments:

Kristy said...

I haven't donated blood in a long time. I had problems with my iron being too low but not anymore. When I donate they call me all the time because I have rare blood type and they love my blood! Looking at your arms makes my arms hurt.....ouch!!

Janae said...

I donated today too:) I am glad I didn't run into the same problem...ouch!! It is so beyond freezing I have forever had enough of this. btw- no death by freezing aloud;)

Mrs. McDaniel said...

I used to give blood until I had a bad experience & now I can't bring myself to do it again & that was in college 11+ years ago! My dh gives blood on a regular basis at work & they give away good prizes for donating! We've never bought one of those fold up chairs that you put in a bag b/c he's gotten so many from giving blood! Those kinds of prizes!

It is cold here in east texas! I'm ready for spring & summer!

Beth said...

It's soooo cold here too! But I agree with janae, no death by freezing allowed!

I started giving blood when I became a single Mom... they called me on a holiday and I happened to be home from work so I went. It helped me to feel like I was giving something, after so many many friends and family had helped me through a rough time. And I have given regularly every since.
Only one time my blood clotted stopped flowing and they couldn't use any of it.... even though it was really close to being the min. they can't keep a drop of it, unless it is the entire amount. I was sooo bummed.

Then this past spring I had a super bad experience and passed out... had lots and lots of trouble, they could use the blood... it was just bad on me. So my dh won't let me go donate anymore. He says I have to find another avenue to give. So sad, but it makes sense with the pacemaker and stuff.

Jill said...

I used to donate blood all the time until I was pregnant with Whitney and had to do the blood sugar test. That meant getting blood drawn 4 times over several hours and one of the times was so painful I almost freaked out. I ended up with a huge bruise and am now skittish about donating.