Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sickos Need Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup!

It seems like just about everyone is sick these days. Winter just does that to us I guess. Megan & Chloe have been sick. Brett & I drove down to Provo, picked up Megan & brought her home Friday night. She was really sick with a fever.... etc. Right before we left Chloe said she wasn't feeling well & sure enough she had a fever too. My dear friend Karen makes the best chicken noodle soup in the world & swore to me it was EASY then gave me the recipe. I made a huge pot of it Saturday & woo hoo she was right! It is so good & so simple to make that I just had to share the recipe in case any of you have sickos at your house too. Or if you are like me & homemade chicken noodle soup makes you tired just thinking about it.

These are the noodles I used -from Costco. Any egg noodle will do but these taste homemade so that makes it extra good.

Karen's EASY But So Good -I'm talking the best- Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Ever!!
(this recipe is doubled- it makes about 5-6 qts of soup)
6 Tblsp. Butter
2 Cups chopped onion
2 Cups chopped celery
2 Cups sliced mushrooms
Saute until everything is tender in a soup pot.
(I added 1 cup carrots diced also just because it seemed like the right thing to do & I didn't have that much celery )
Now add:
2 Cups cooked chicken -(I added 3 boiled chicken breast diced)
4 Cups of Noodles
Cover everything with water- just barely. I used the water from boiling the chicken & a little more.
Now add:
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
Bring to a boil & simmer until the noodles are tender! Salt & pepper to taste.
ENJOY!

Seriously great cooking starts with a great recipe. Thanks for sharing Karen!

*is anyone sick at your house?
*are you going to make this soup? You won't be disappointed!
P.S. To my sister Johnna - have fun picking up your missionary (my nephew) in Brazil! Good luck on your trip tomorrow & give him a hug for us! I will be thinking about you :)

6 comments:

Kristy said...

This soup sounds so yummy we will be trying this at our house. We have a neighbor that makes the best chicken noodle soup as well. It is great when Esther makes soup for us. Hope everyone feels better.

wende said...

i'm sorry you're all sick - no fun! i do not need to be sick to want to try this soup though, it sounds so good. i'll let you know when we've tried it! thanks for sharing!

Jill said...

That soup sounds really good. I'm sorry you've got so much sickness going on, but I'm glad it's not you that's sick. The mom needs to be healthy so she can take care of everyone and everything else!

Fortunately no one is sick in my house. I have a barking cough, but that seems to be my winter thing.

michelle said...

I am sorry that you have sickness going on at your house. Hopefully it will pass super soon! I am copying this recipe right now. I am headed to the store later this afternoon to get the ingredients. There is nothing more yummy than a good bowl of chicken noodle soup! :)

Holly said...

Sorry you've been plaqued with "sick-os"! Hope everyone gets through with the bug soon. Take care of YOURSELF too, mom! :)

Thanks for the recipe, sounds dee-lish. Chicken soup is great even without a cold--that way you can taste it.

Johnna said...

Hi Sis.

We are back and I was just catching up with the Messer Family news here on the blog and wanted to respond and let you know that we are back. What an amazing experience. Unlike Brian, Marcus is a very brief writer and so we found out a whole bunch of stuff about our son the Missionary that I don't think we would have known, ever.

He is happy to be home now and is ready to move on to the next part of his life. I know that he will be sharing those things with you when he sees or talks with you all soon.

Love you all,

Johnna :)