Tuesday, January 22, 2008

SPT- It's All In The Name


This week's SPT subject is - How I Came Up With the Name Of My Blog?Well it's pretty obvious that these are our children & we are holding at six.
Years ago when we got our first email address I was trying really hard to come up with something clever & brett came up with it- sixandholding!
It stuck & I love it so it just seemed right to name my blog the same thing.
We always wanted to have a large family. Six was the perfect number for us. Some people think we are crazy- even family- but we did it. We brought six beautiful children into this world & now we have the awesome responsability to teach them how to live in it! Yes I thought about that every time we thought about concieving another one. (yes they were planned) It is a hard job, it is a lot of work & money & time & sacrafice. But let me tell you, the payoffs are huge.
A couple of years ago Megan worked for a summer in an orphanage in Ecuador. It was an amazing experience for our whole family, especially for her of course! She grew to love the children so much it just about ripped her heart out to leave. She still wants to go back every day but it's just too expensive with college costs etc.
While she was there Brett & I thought about trying to adopt. Yep- we were thinking about letting go of the HOLDING part. We fasted & prayed about it. I was struck by the awesome feeling that I was doing all I could do. There were other ways to help children in need & I needed to concentrate on those ideas plus my own six children. I love kids- I always have. Children bring so much joy to my life, my own children & other's. I am blessed & thankful to be

{yes I look crazed in this picture}


SIX AND HOLDING!

8 comments:

michelle said...

I like the name of your blog. I portrays a mother that loves her children. Great SPT! I finally am back on the wagon, and joined in the fun of SPT! It has been a while.

Hailey said...

i think hailey looks really cute in that picture up there.

a really hot guy - ;D

Anonymous said...

If you could handle being PTA president for two consecutive years...you can handle anything! Six and holding is great and very memorable.

Anonymous said...

Cute hair cut mom! Love you! You're the best mom. I had fun talking on the phone with you tonight. -megs

Holly said...

Your blog title is perfect. I like the way you described your desire for a large family, along with the reality of bringing that family up, hence the holding part. Clever.

Unknown said...

your blog name totally suits you, and i love that! i am in awe of your six, and love that you share so much about their wonderful lives with us! i'd say you guys have done an amazing job.

andrea said...

Love the title of your blog and I'm right there with you-six and holding (very tightly I might add).

Jill said...

Wow, I'm impressed that you guys even considered adopting. I can't imagine having 6 kids and then considering more. I feel like I must be a parenting wuss.