Wednesday, October 31, 2007

SPT - TRICK OR TREAT



Every Halloween I make raised doughnuts for everyone who stops in.It's a tradition that my kids love.Here is the recipe. Let me know if you try them!


Sweet Roll Dough
1/2 Tblsp. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter softened
1 tsp salt
1 egg room temperature
3 1/2 to 4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in milk, sugar, butter, salt, egg & 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Punch down dough. Roll out to just around 1/2 inch thick then cut out the doughnuts with a floured doughnut cutter. Cover; let rise on floured surface for about 1/2 hour.

Heat vegetable oil (2to3) inches deep in heavy pot. Slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as the rise and brown. Remove from oil onto paper towels to drain. Dip in vanilla glaze.

Vanilla glaze

whisk together: 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup milk, & 1/4 tsp vanilla until smooth.

I times this recipe by 4 to make around 100 doughnuts.
(it's just a little stressful)

3 comments:

Jill said...

Those donuts sound so good, your house must be an absolute hot spot!

Unknown said...

homemade doughnuts. on one of the busiest nights of the year...

i am hanging my head in shame over here!!

they sound delish!

patsy said...

Lelly just know that I was a real witch not just the Halloween kind so I'm not sure it's really worth it. I used to be ok about it but I guess it's run it's course. I am so embarrassed now. My kids are seriously old enough to realize when mom has lost it.eeeeeeeek