Thursday, April 10, 2008

service awards night

For the past two years, my dear friend Jeanine & I have chaired the service awards at the H.S. Jeanine is the best. We used to be in the same neighborhood. When we first moved to UT eleven years ago, she was one of the first people I met. Brett & I were called to be assistant cubscout masters & she was the cub committee chair. We instantly hit it off. Her oldest three & my oldest three are the same ages/opposites sexes. We used to take them on little field trips together in the summer & she had a big baby shower for me before Trent was born. Her oldest son was Megan's first crush- they used to stand on the corner & talk in 8th grade, it was really cute. He's on a mission now in Leed's England & comes home in two months- hard to believe.
(I made cupcakes~oh ya!)
The service awards are one of my favorite things the H.S. does.
Students & faculty nominate outstanding people who wouldn't normally be recognized. Jeanine & I read through the nominations (120 this year) then seperated out the sillies (this is H.S. but there weren't too many) from the serious etc. We then take them to a committee of administrators, PTA & teachers where we narrow them done to 12 or so. It's a tough but fun process.
I am lucky to live in an amazing community where so many- really so many - people could qualify for this award. This year the award went to a young man who started a chamber orchestra on his own in the school. Three handicap students who started a recycling program & pull garbage cans with their motorized wheelchairs around the school to pick up papers from each classroom- they do it with such cheerful enthusiasm. Teachers who come early & stay late REally helping & teaching. A student who is the president of the best friends club. The janitor who goes out of his way to really make friends with the students, besides keeping the school ship shape. A parent volunteer who sewed all the costumes for the musical- without a student at the school!And more...It's all amazing really, how ordinary people do extraordinary things!
People ask me why I am always doing what I do-- can you see why?-- it's great to be a part of great things!

Jeanine & I.
We are not chairing this committee next year.
I have to think of another way to make sure we can get together
She is truly one of my favorite people.
I just feel like there's not enough time to visit & see all the people I love.
I guess that's what Heaven is for!
Happy Birthday MOm!

10 comments:

Karrie said...

Wow...good looking cupcakes...you should really go into business! Was Lonnie Petterson on of the award recipients? I'm sure it was a great night

patsy said...

Yep lonnie was! she has been making costumes over there for years! This year's were really over the top amazing. She sat in the green room sewing 8 hours a day for over a month!!

wende said...

the cupcakes look so good! what an awesome thing to be part of, i had no idea the h.s. had anything like this. we need this at the jr. high! i love jeanine too, i miss not seeing her every sunday.

Kristy said...

You are so good to volunteer at all 3 schools. I have not ventured into the Jr High and High schools yet. In my book you are the volunteer of the year!!!!

patsy said...

Oh Kristy~ what these people do is so much more than what I do! REally it is... you would have loved this night. Carly your neighbor was one of the recipients.

Beth said...

All these good deeds and good friends must be good for you... you look great!
What an amazing night!

It was good to read Brians letter today... I can't wait til "my boys" get home to read it with them!

Linda said...

I had a similar relationship with a friend...we met while our children were in elementary school where we spent hours and hours volunteering together.

We then moved our volunteering efforts on to junior high and high school.

Last year our kids graduated high school and our volunteering together ended. I miss it and my friend Margaret. She still has a child at home so is busy now with him. I guess I didn't realize how much I missed her until this post...thank you. I'm gonna give my Margaret a call...we've got some catching up to do.

Jill said...

What a great event. It's so inspiring to read about the people who won and to know that there were so many more who were nominated.

PaD said...

Thanks Patsy, I had a great day and felt really good after this virus stuff. Thank goodness it's over. We went out to Red Lobster to have my monthly fish meal. Both of us felt too full and yucky. I guess we're not use to eating that much. It was really good tho. I'm having a slow day today and dad went to the temple. I didn't sleep much last night.

Janae said...

What a great event. The cupcakes really looked very delicious and perfect:)