Saturday, April 19, 2008

a really long post... about a beautiful day

A couple of weeks ago, my sweetheart called me & asked me what I was doing on April 19th. He then suggested we come here-so we planned a special day away to enjoy the gardens & spend some time alone in the middle of our very busy month.Because of our wild spring weather, the tulips were not all up. The daffodils were & some of the tulips. It was all beautiful none the less.

Here are some - aren't they gorgeous?!


After walking part way through the gardens we stopped & laid on the grass. It was a very windy day but warm & it was nice to be outside without freezing.

While we were sitting in the grass talking this little boy ran over & was so delighted to find a patch of gravel. He started playing & throwing it. It was so funny to watch from a distance. Brett said- laying on the grass without our own kids throwing rocks was worth the ten dollar admission. Agreed.

I am sad to say that living on the opposite end of the valley, this is the very first time I have been to the gardens here. I loved it. There is so much to see. These fountains were one of my favorite spots.

Brett was so curious to know if anyone has ever jumped right in on one of the hot summer days we get in July? Tempting, I'm sure.

It's amazing.

I have always wanted to be a serious gardener. Being allergic to just about everything outside- has made that difficult.
Not to mention...
I don't really ever go into the sun. Maybe that's why some of you say I don't look 40? I really avoid sun. It bothers me. I swear I can feel sun wrinkling my face after just few minutes. Even with sunscreen & sunglasses I am miserable in too much sun. I guess it's my Seattle upbringing.

The mother of the gravel lover offered to take a picture of us. She was really cute like her little guy.

Chloe would love this a little secret garden behind doors.

Here is what was inside.
I loved the daffodils- everywhere. They have just about always been my favorite flower.

The waterfalls - stunning.
My next favorite place-
Beautiful.
We ate lunch at the restaurant there.

Tomato basil soup & bread.

Chicken fried steak with garlic mashed potatoes & grilled vegetables. A turkey, bacon, avocado sandwich with marinated vegetables. Oh my goodness - the food here was amazing!

Luckily we got dessert in the deli to go. About 2 hours later I was so glad!
After our adventure at the gardens we went here.
Male paradise.

I couldn't resist taking a picture of all the guys at the gun counter. It reminded me of ladies waiting at the fabric cutting counter at JoAnn's fabrics.

This place is a serious haven for the outdoors man in your life.

They sell about a billion different fishing poles.

My favorite place in Cabela's is the aquarium full of native Utah fish. My kids love this place & will be so disappointed they couldn't come.

On the way home we went to visit a couple Brett home teaches who is in the hospital recovering from back surgery. We looked around for my very favorite bakery in SLC & found it. I hadn't been there forever & couldn't remember where it was. Brett of course knew where it was.

Can you believe this place?? Oh my gosh- It would've been better to never find it again.
We went in to get the sweet couple a treat.

I was dying... wishing I wasn't full or on a diet - HA -
After taking a couple of pictures, Brett remembered the gentleman, who just had surgery, had diabetes. We decided we better not get anything.
I'm sure the people working there were thrilled to have us come in, take pictures then leave.
WEll it was a great day!
When we got home- the house was still standing, the kids had done all of their chores... it's a modern day miracle.
I really want to go back when the roses are in bloom.
*do you love gardens?
*and bakeries?
*what did you do today?


10 comments:

crystal said...

What a cute couple you are! And THAT BAKERY! You must email me & disclose the location. Bakeries are my downfall.

The Joann's comment made me laugh! That's TOTALLY what it looked like!

Jill said...

Can you believe I've never gone to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point? It's ridiculous, since I love tulips and live so close to the place. It seems like I always let something get in the way though. I've been wondering about this year's weather and if things would have bloomed on time.

This looks like such a fun date for you two. I love Brett's comment about the admission being worth it just since your kids weren't there throwing gravel.

Unknown said...

what a great date!! you both look so relaxed.

that bakery looks fantastic - i can't believe you made it in and out of there without buying anything!!

Karrie said...

I love gardening and I really want a great fountain/waterfall in my yard. I'm so glad you enjoyed your day. At my house we slept in...a major plus...then we worked in the yard and took the girls to play tennis at the park.

wende said...

what an awesome day. how nice of your husband to go, let alone think of it! you're married to a gem! this post was about my two favorite things...flowers and bakery treats. seriously, you bought nothing? you could be the ww spokeswoman!

ps we go to TP every year in september for the ryan shupe concert, we always go hours early so i can take pictures like a mad woman. it's one of my favorite spots!

Kristy said...

What a fun day!!! Kelly would have loved the Cabela's part....it is his favorite store. He doesn't understand why I don't like to go there. Come on who wants furniture with animals of some sort on it......not me!!!!

Rachel said...

Holy cow, where *is* that garden? It's beautiful! I love the water feature ... wow! I am inspired. Thank you for posting!

michelle said...

What a lovely date! I too really enjoyed Brent's comment about not having a child throwing gravel. And yours comparing the gun counter to the fabric cutting counter!

Bakeries are my favorite. (Good ones.)

Holly said...

What a perfect day with your sweetheart! Beautiful gardens, other people's children, and a tempting bakery. You look really happy in the pictures.

The gun counter comment was hysterical--and true!

Janae said...

Where is the bakery?? Wow! That looked amazing...also, the great day with your hubby:) what a fun and relaxing day. I think that is great that you guys got a whole day alone! The garden is beautiful. I have not been there in years. Would love to go back. They have done so much!