Thursday, April 17, 2008

rugby jack

Yesterday was a really, really busy day for me. The best part though was after all my business I got to go to jack's rugby game. Just me & trent. Everyone else had places to be & I was NOT going to miss this home game! Jack is in black on the right. Ya- with that funny cap on. It's called a scrum cap- I think. It's to protect him from something called cauliflower ear- which translates to: my mom will literally kill me if my ears are protruding massively off the sides of my head in my sister's wedding photographs, so I wear this cap.

He's somewhere down in the middle of this with his head between two guys thighs?
(Another use for the scrum cap is apparent here.)
I really don't understand rugby- yet. Even still, I had so much fun watching this game. It's the first time I have seen a whole game (so sad.) Trent was his typical nightmare public self. He wanted to go to the park way, way over across the field & of course I wouldn't let him so basically he spent the whole 1 1/2 hours splitting his personality between begging sweetly, screaming how bored he was, hitting me with his outstretched jacket sleeves, complaining, & telling me he hated me- oh ya screaming that too- then back to begging sweetly.
Wow that was fun. Not.

They lost- which is a real bummer. Especially since the won on Saturday- I was at the wedding shower- & jack even scored!

Do you like their t-shirts?
Viking Rugby... freaks of nature.
I'm so proud?

Jack for some reason has an overwhelming desire to do something dangerous. Is this normal? Do all boys have this? He seems to have it in his blood- thicker than my other boys. If I could scan... I would scan a picture of him riding steers at the junior rodeo a couple years back.
That just plain ticked me off. I had specifically forbid him to do that- then dad said he could. I wouldn't even go watch until he had done it a few times, then I went very reluctantly. I was kind of like public trent, but alas that attitude did me about as much good as it did him- none.

Can I just say...
This kid is so good lookin!

Jack & Seth
I took this picture from the car since it was so cold.
Seth- one of his best friends since 2nd grade- Seth is just plain family.
Seth is warming his hands- why you say- because it was absolutely frigid cold! In fact it was snowing hard on the drive over. It was windy & 43 degrees. The sun did come out after the game started. So much for spring. In typical Utah fashion we are going to go straight from winter to summer.
I've decided, the best part of rugby is the short shorts. Not that I know enough about the game to really make that judgement yet, but they just crack me up. Of course these guys wear under armor with them, not that I blame them. But, these short shorts just take me back in time.
* have you ever watched a rugby match/game?
*do you have a danger loving son?
*head wedged between his teammates thighs? sick really...

8 comments:

Kristy said...

I am clueless when it comes to rugby.....I have never watched a game. I am eventually one of boys will want to try it.

Kyle is playing lacrosse this year.....we got a rule book last night so we can read it and figure out what is going on. This is all new to me!

Jill said...

My brother-in-law played and coached rugby at BYU so I'm vaguely familiar with the game, but I think it's super confusing and rather bizarre. There's a whole lot of man touching going on along with the short shorts and I find that disconcerting.

It's cool that Jack's school has a team and that enjoys it so much.

Kudos to you for going to the game in the freezing cold and with crazy Trent!

Beth said...

I know nothing about Rugby, but Jack just looks the part. If I knew what a cool, tough rugby dude was supposed to look like, it would be him.

It doesn't look much safer than bull riding, but at least you aren't the only one who will be guaranteed to come out bleeding... you might have a team mate there with you in rugby. Misery loves company and all... you never get that in bull riding! The bull always wins. I at least like his odds better with this sport.

Great pictures!

Unknown said...

i don't know a thing about rugby, so your version was very entertaining to me!! i have a danger loving son - and he's only 7!! my jack would have a heart attack if i approached him about wearing short shorts!!

Karrie said...

I know nothing about rugby either...but I hear it's pretty rough. I'm sad they didn't win...way to go on the last game though Jack!

wende said...

this was one of your funniest posts to date, rich and i laughed and laughed! head in a teammates thighs, oh you kill me patsy! ps i LOVE that boys love danger, something about a sexy rebel, i dont know.

and you're right, jack is so good lookin'! and i love those shorts! taylor was complaining yesterday about the track shorts, they are worse, WAY worse! if i hadn't been a the cc meeting i would've taken a picture! so funny!

crystal said...

I've never watched a rugby game & had NO IDEA it was so rough-&-tumble! Not only is that kid a cutie-pie, he's tough as nails! Did you see the after-conference special a few weeks ago about the Highland Rugby team & the making of the movie?

Janae said...

Wow! Rugby is sounding pretty intense...I guess once again I will just be glad for my girls. I do have three brothers but, no info. on Rugby here. Jack looks great! Every boy I have ever known loves danger...I don't get it. (I guess that's good)