Saturday, April 5, 2008

conference, cards & cupcakes

I LOVE my churches bi-annual general conference!
It just happens to be the best two weekends of the year for me.
This year was extra special. Because our beloved president Gordan B. Hinckley died, a new president- Thomas S. Monson was sustained.
What a privilege to raise my hand in support for him, one of my all time favorite speakers, by the way. I am so thankful for a prophet.
Knowing my own weaknesses- I keep myself busy during conference- as to not fall into deep sleep. The music, the speakers, my soft couch (conference in Utah what a joy), can induce sleepiness. So I had a spiritual & creative & wonderful Saturday yesterday. I worked on announcements (I'm almost done! woo hoo), made cards for card club,
and made & decorated cupcakes with these two gals.
Mmmmm are they good & so fun to make. Thanks for the piping lessons, wende!

Chloe painted with her art set that she got for Christmas from Grandma.

"the tree of life"


Max had no problem watching conference. He didn't fall asleep at all!

Strawberry lemonade & double chocolate cupcakes.

When I was a kid we had to listen to conference on the radio- very difficult. My kids have had the very opposite experience. They have been there in person, watched from our home & before we lived in Utah... gone to all four meetings at the church to watch by satellite. When my older kids were little Brett had to work on Saturdays. I would pack up the kids, some toys & coloring books & head to the church by myself to watch conference. That memory is precious to me. Being a young mother I wanted to impress on my children the importance of conference. Those were not easy times but powerful & so wonderful now that I look back.
I am rejoicing today thinking of my son watching conference, in Chile as a representative of Christ. Of my daughter who had a dress rehearsal but stopped to raise her hand to the square in the dressing room to sustain president Monson.

I love this gospel.
I am so looking forward to tomorrow- the last two meetings.

8 comments:

wende said...

i love that you make this day a creative one too. i'm taking your tips in october and multi-tasking. i don't have a problem falling asleep but it is hard to devote eight hours of a weekend to not getting anything done. they are also my favorite two weekends of the entire year! and by the way, those strawberry lemonade were divine! thanks for the taste test!

Kristy said...

Yummy cupcakes! I too have to keep busy during conference or I am completely out cold. I made this year without falling asleep but I also got a ton done!

Karrie said...

Oh my gosh...I feel so bad...you need to see my blog about Conference. I need to take you advise for October.

Jill said...

It sounds like an excellent day, and it's so cool that Brian and Megan could be with you even though they weren't there.

Janae said...

The cupcakes were...yummy, beautiful and delish...thank you:) What a fun and productive day. Those kind are the best:)

Unknown said...

MEGAN GAVE ME ONE OF THOSE PINK LEMONADE CUPCAKES!! SO STINKING GOOD.. I WANT MORE!! HAHA

Becky said...

I actually got choked up reading your last paragraph about loading up the kids by yourself to take them to conference...being a mom is an amazing experience.

The cupcakes look beautiful! And, I am way impressed with Chloe's tree of life.

Beth said...

Great post... I hope we can get tickets to conf. again someday and come down to your house... last time we were there it was so fun!!
Looks like you are keeping up the pace.

Love the "Tree of Life" Chloe!!