Monday, February 25, 2008

Monday Madness!

Today Brittany & I went wedding dress shopping with the bride to be Megan. We didn't realize that we would be sitting on a couch the whole time while she was being dressed in this room...
It was really fun though.
They wouldn't let us take pictures!!
Not until we commited to one- I guess I can understand that but still I was so bummed.
Isn't it bad luck or something to take a picture of the bride before her wedding day? What about bridal shots? We actually picked one out- DONE! It's absolutely gorgeous & perfect for her. She is renting it... I wasn't so sure about it but we really don't have a lot of time to buy one, get it altered etc. It is so beautiful- it really is perfect. I wish I had a picture but that will come soon enough.

Brittany & I looked through catalogs of really lame wedding invitations. A lot of them said 2007 on them but- NO WAY - these were totally 80's invites. Some of the expressions on the faces of the couples are so funny- they are trying to be serious but look like they are wondering if they made the wrong decision. We had a great time making fun of them.

I came home & Brett had built a shelf in our closet for shoes. I don't really have a lot of shoes but now they are really organized. It was so nice of him. I was completely shocked! I really love it!!

For family night we worked on these.... our 72 hour kits.
News of a big earthquake in Nevada has made us just a little jittery. These kits hang on the wall of the garage. I thought we'd better take inventory & see what we need to throw out etc. The last time we went through them was during the hurricanes in the gulf coast, so it's been a while. We decided we need to bulk them up a bit plus make a standing list of things to get together if we only had a few minutes in an emergency. I am making a booklet of phone numbers & account numbers for the main kit too. If I can remember, I have such good intentions- but so many, it's hard to keep track.
(hey why don't one of you lurkers email me & remind me in a week or two okay?)
Jack had rugby practice & came home completely soaked through. It was raining. He took a hot shower then landed here.
The girls were in charge of inventory lists.

After Trent carried in the kits on his back- very important job. He decided to ditch us and start up some roller coaster tycoon. His favorite.

Just to lighten it up a bit we had a bubble gum blowing contest.

Brett opted out after he could tell he wasn't going to win.

*did you rent or buy your wedding dress?
*do you think she'll regret it?
*do you have a 72 hour emergency kit?
*can you blow bubbles?
*can you believe after spending most of the day with Megan I didn't get her picture?!

8 comments:

Kristy said...

I bought my dress but got a super deal on it. I think it was only like $200.00 but hey that was 19 years ago. I am afraid to see what Emily's wedding will cost!!! She has such expensive taste!! We need to go through our 72 hour backpacks as well. I probably need to switch out clothes and food. I went through them last year but it would not hurt to go through them again. My biggest problem is to remember to get Kelly's out of his car. We opted to put his there since the chance of him working is pretty high! Great job Messers!!

Jill said...

I rented my wedding dress and have never regretted it. There have been times when I felt bummed that I didn't have the option to buy my dress, but all my friends who bought theirs don't know what to do with them now, so I'm just happy not to have to deal with one more thing.

I need to work on our 72 hour kits.

I can blow big bubbles.

Johnna said...

Hey Sis looks like a pretty full day. It is good to know that we have that one more thing in common. Bubble gum blowing queens!

Love you,

Johnna

Anonymous said...

I rented my dress too... and haven't missed not having it. I bet they didn't want you to take her photo so you wouldn't take it to someone to have it duplicated. We have our 72 hour backbacks in the garage too, but I don't think they have been gone through since 2000. Sounds like I need to check them out.

michelle said...

I am impressed how much you have gotten done for the wedding! I bought my dress. I can totally see the point of renting one though. It is only worn one time. When is the wedding again? Have you decided what your going to wear? So many fun things going on! :)

Rachel said...

My mom made my dress, and I absolutely love that I have it to pass along to my kids. In turn, I made our christening gown (worn by both kids for their blessings) out of extra fabric from my dress. So that's really special. But I don't think she'll regret renting - maybe she can pass down her temple dress or her rings or some other special piece of jewelry she wears that day if that becomes important to her. Oh, I know! Maybe you could find some ultra-fantastic super-fancy shoes she can keep and pass down! I know most girls these days go really casual on their shoes, but I spent so little on my dress, I totally splurged on shoes and I don't regret it one bit, they are so beautiful - maybe Megan could do something like that - doesn't have to be shoes, but maybe something else.

We do have 72-hour kits. So hard to keep them updated, though, with these ever-growing kids! We try to update them twice a year at General Conference time (when we also said we'd change the batteries on our smoke detectors - still haven't done that, like, ever, though!).

Ok, I guess I had a lot to say about that! Sorry for the long comment :)

Holly said...

I am surprised they wouln't let you take any pictures. BLAH!

I think renting is a smart option. My dress is in one of our closets (I think), but seriously what will I ever do with it??

We don't have 72 hr kits--and we live along Hurricane Alley. What do you typically put in them?

I am not a good bubble blower. I don't even like to chew gum or hear it being chewed.

Janae said...

I think that is a bummer no dress pictures...I guess I can see their point but, not totally. Good job on your emergency packs. That is such a hard thing for me to do! and, love the bubble blowing pictures:)