Friday, February 1, 2008

Bobcat Boy!

Trent has been counting the days until yesterday- PACK MEETING- As you may know pack meeting isn't my favorite family activity--- but boy was this kid excited because he was finally getting his BOBCAT. Yes he should of gotten it earlier but having a real scout stickler for a dad it had to be done right- not just part way- so that took a little time.
Jack came as support- remember all those pack meetings we took you to Jack? And, he took the pictures. Jack-- the boy who has had everything even his Eagle Project done for a year... all except one 20 mile & one 50 bike ride. (I'm sure they will be done first thing in the spring.) He will NO DOUBT be getting his Eagle by summer. :) I love this picture- look at that face!
Trent has ADHD & Asperger's syndrome, which I have talked about in the past.
He takes medicine every morning & afternoon for the ADHD. I know that it's controversial- I have struggled with it myself. But this morning was one of those mornings when I KNOW we are doing the right thing. His dad gave him his pill but instead of taking it he set it next to his breakfast plate & went on his merry way. We have a strict routine in the morning & at 8:00 we sit down & do homework, before that he is dressed etc. Not today he was a complete mess. Screaming, yelling that he hates school- completely out of it. What in the world? He loves school, & stays on task really well in the morning, normally. I looked around thinking - where's the pill? Searching I finally found it right next to his plate. He took it- & I just let him play for 20 minutes. It's just not worth the fight. He was almost late for school but finally got dressed no problem -didn't have time for homework, that's life.
Again I am sad that he can't do this on his own & is truly miserable & miserable to be around until he has his medication. But at the same time he & I are so blessed it works for him. What a miserable kid he would be without it. It works for us. I am grateful. I am humbled.
How could I deny my child that?
What do I need to cope?
How will he succeed if I don't give him every tool possible to help him? I accept his problems, I am thankful it's not worse- heaven knows this is a small trial compared to many. He will be okay- and so will I. Until he leaves & then I will cry in Costco when I miss him.

5 comments:

Kristy said...

Way to go Trent!!

wende said...

i have such strong feelings about allowing our children to be medicated when they need it. i struggle with ADHD too and i know that i have some self-esteem issues that stem from it. i know that our country is way too medicated including our children, but when your child has a real need, why deny them that? if he needed medication for diabetes or any other thing, you wouldn't hesitate. it's the same as needing glasses, if it's working and he's miserable without it, that's your answer. good job on being brave enough to do what's best for your child! if you weren't worried about it, you wouldn't be a good mother. and...good job trent!

PaD said...

I totally agree with Wende. You and Brett are very good with children. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

so proud of your bobcat!! you know we are just at the beginning of the whole bobcat trail, but i can't stop talking up the fantastic eagle ceremony already!!

(my father was a scoutmaster for 15 years when i was younger. so i know something about scout sticklers...)

thanks for sharing what you do about trent. it's very touching and helpful when i am struggling with my own jack issues.

Jill said...

It's such a blessing to have medication that works so well for Trent. How did people handle life before solutions like this?

I've seen the difference medication like this can make in my brother Andrew who has Down's Syndrome and Autism and in an adult friend who is ADHD. It's a night and day difference.