Monday, May 17, 2010

the most important hour of the day

Dinner time. On Mondays I have been really putting extra effort into dinner.
I want dinner time to be a gateway into family night.
Today I made a couple of lasagnas. One for dinner, one to freeze for later.
I tried something sneaky & it worked!
I put a cup of water in the sauce...
then
didn't cook the noodles!
I know, I know they sell no cook noodles- but they're twice as expensive & come in small packages (I love how one box makes two batches.) I always figure if I am making one lasagna I may as well make two- especially if I don't have to cook the noodles! The process is 1000 times easier. I was going to bake it covered in foil to ensure they would cook all the way through- but I forgot & they cooked just fine anyway.
For family night we watched a DVR'd conference talk & discussed our day around the dinner table. Chloe went to an extra dance class, brian had some plans & hailey had homework to do. You know how it is?
Family dinner & fAmily night
you've gotta be sneaky to get them both in

6 comments:

crystal said...

That IS sneaky. I am usually burning out from the day right during dinner and thus, start to dread family night.

I'll try your good attitude.

I said "TRY."

She Loves To Make said...

I love your lasagna! Sounds like a great family night to me :)

wende said...

i SO need a set of those darling straws! and i'm not even a straw lover like you! maybe i would be if i got myself some cute ones?

you are a wonderful mother. and i need your lasagna recipe and some more detailed instructions on the cooking the noodles with extra water thing...

michelle said...

I noticed the straws right away! So cute.

A mom's gotta be sneaky to do a lot of things, I like the way you think.

Karrie said...

Um Patsy...I never thought I could tell you something about cooking....but I've been cooking lasagna forever without cooking the noodles first. You don't even need to add water...just have to cover the pan and cook for 1 hr. Never fails!!!

Karrie said...

Oh and I just use the regular noodles...I never knew they sold the non-cook kind...I think they are all non-cook if you do it like I explained.