Wednesday, May 26, 2010

dutch oven cook off

Tonight our church's youth group was getting together for a dutch oven cook off!
The deacons were in charge & the scoutmaster called to ask me if I would be interested in judging the event... oh YA! I never turn down an opportunity to serve. In fact when the call came asking if I could help, Brian happened to answer the phone- heard about the opportunity & offered to sacrifice his own time to be a judge too. He's no dummy.

Brian had been painting all day- what a guy.
His paint pants will be able to stand on their own soon.
Brett stayed home a bit & helped while my lazy rear laid on the couch. Yesterday I went into the doctor & I have an ulcer in the back of my throat aka: a blister/canker sore. It hurts like you would not believe & I felt miserable most of the day. Ibuprofen is my friend.
Thanks guys for letting me have the time off.

The contest was held in Farmer Brown's back yard.
His garden & yard are beautiful.

You can check him out here.

there was:
BBQ chicken
cheesy pototoes
lasagna
apple cobbler
peach & raspberry cobbler
Italian chicken (the winner)
Three meat, deep dish pizza
before

after

and even the world's best apple pie!
(made by one of my cub scout's dads)

It was a lot of fun!
What a GREAT idea.
This is a fantastic group of kids
and leaders

Seriously-
they were all winners
it was so good and loads of fun.
and you know what they say...
if there is food
they will come!

6 comments:

Linda said...

Now that's what I call clean, wholesome fun! Looks like everyone had a great time!

I wish we had a painter in the family! You lucky girl you!

wende said...

what? a dutch oven cooking judge? you are the luckiest person i know. that's stuff is the best, all those recipes sound fantastic. my favorite has to be any kind of dutch oven cobbler. with ice cream. yum.

The Taylors said...

dutch oven ,..... yummmmmmy ! Looks like a lot of fun , can't wait to see the paint job! and new furniture!

michelle said...

I just love the way you (and Brian) are so willing to serve!

I have had ulcers in my throat before and that is so miserable. I had them on Christmas Eve and couldn't even eat any dinner. Hope you feel better soon!

Lindsey said...

i heard it was fun!! i wish i would have been there... but i did hear that carston got a hold of the hose... oh dear!

Janae said...

This looks like a very yummy event. Yay for boys who paint!