Monday, July 21, 2008

missionary update

Well, I promised a missionary update...
first off let me explain- when I say I am missing brian- somedays I just really miss him- let me just emphasize-- ya I miss him now & then, but I am really good with him being gone. the first six months were tough true, but I really am happy he is there & doing well. I wouldn't trade this experience for the world. I am proud of him! I am glad he is a missionary! i know he is doing what he should be & what is right! I love being a missionary mom!!
Here is what he has been saying...
"To answer a few of Dad´s questions:Is our apartment cold because it is winter... YES! Here they don´t have heating systems etc so we heat our house with a wood burning stove. It is actually really cool and I like to have it here. It gives me something to get all of my frustrations and energy out on... chopping wood. I actually love it (: Whenever we do service we are chopping wood as well so I have gotten quite good at it, I must admit... (: also my fire building skills have increased quite a bit. I woke up cold last night at about 4:30 because the fire had completely died and my companion had slept through the alarm to put more wood on so I got up and made a new one. It only took me about ten or fifteen minutes and I was back in bed ¨calentito¨ (: But that is something that I have really liked."
"This week we were sharing with a guy named Hugo. As we were sharing about the restoration and leading up to teaching about Joseph Smith he came popping out with doubts and questions. I really felt the spirit and felt awesome resolving his doubts and questions. I love to bear my testimony when I feel that the spirit really is taking it to the heart of the person. Although it can´t force the message to the heart it is something really rewarding to see the difference in the person when you can see that they really feel edified or you can see that somewhere deep inside the lights have turned on. I really love those moments when you can see and feel that they are flipping that switch and putting things together on their own. I love the Holy Ghost, I know that he is the messenger of God the Father and his son, Jesus Christ. I know that they live and that they love us. Something interesting that we teach in the first lesson is that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that he cries with us when we cry and is happy when we choose wisely and thus feel satisfaction and joy. I know that we have a relationship with our Father in Heaven and that he is not too far from us. He is in a stationary place but sometimes we walk away and leave him there waiting for the moment when we feel that he is necessary. HE IS ALWAYS NECESSARY!"
I wish I had pictures to share...
thank you readers for being interested in my missionary boy.
Where is Brian?
He is in a little mountain town in Chile (I can't find the name of it- we send all his mail to Osorno) on the boarder of Argentina. Obviously it's winter there. He is about 600 miles from the bottom of South America which is about 300 miles from Antarctica. so, when he says it's cold- ya it is & humid too.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for the update. I'm glad he's doing so well. It must be surreal as a parent to read such powerful and spiritual words from your child. You must be beaming!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Patsy, I share your zeal. He sounds like he's doing an incredible job. Hooray for missionary letters.

wende said...

a bitter sweet kind of proud...man, antarctica cold? he's braver than me! i'm so glad he's doing well and i'm so thankful that missionaries today can send EMAIL! can you imagine having to wait months for his letters? oh man, i'm feelin' it for those moms of old! love ya patsy!

Unknown said...

what a great update! cold AND humid... i can't imagine.

Kristy said...

Great letter from Brian! He sounds like he is having fun with his wood burning stove....I would be complaining for sure! I am glad he is doing well. You give me hope that I will be able to send my boys out!! :)

Karrie said...

I would love to see photos of the place they are living...man I can't believe they have to heat with wood and set alarms at night to stoke the fire....Kinda cavemanish....this experience will be so great. I'm glad he is doing well and writes/emails often.