Sunday, July 20, 2008

Corn chip

This is Cory...

(photo taken by Brian on the trampoline last summer)
Cory & Brian- aka the missionary- have been friends since the 5th grade.
Cory goes by corn chip at our house.
Cory & Brian were locker partners through jr. high.
Cory & Brian have been in 5-6 music theatre shows together.
Cory has a beautiful tenor voice- brian is a bass. I love when they sing together.
Cory has spent many a day & night here with our family- before the missionary left.

( Brian, Cory & Spencer outside David Letterman last spring-
spencer is now on a mission in Leeds, England)
A couple of months ago we got a much anticipated phone call from Corn chip- he had received his mission papers... and excitedly told us he was being sent to Guatemala. he said he & brian would be speaking spanish to each other forever more.

Today we went to Cory's sacrament meeting service to hear him speak. Listening to him talk about choices, obedience to the commandments, love of family & church melted my heart. Hearing him bear testimony of a living prophet, Christ's atoning sacrifice, & his desire & faith to bring other's unto Christ on his mission... oh boy. Man, I love these kids.

Seeing Cory & some of Brian's other friends around town (but especially cory) was kind of like having a little bit of Brian around. A couple of months ago I saw Cory at the theatre & ran up to him to give him a hug. I asked him if he was a little creeped out having his friend's mom always wanting to hug him- he said I can hug him anytime...
Today I am so thankful for my children's friends. Nothing is more important when you are a teen than having good no great friends. We are truly blessed with an amazing generation coming up behind us.

during the sacrament service I sat next to Jack- it dawned on me for the first time... in two years guess who will be gone on a mission then? DAng it- these darn kids!

I'm missing Brian really a lot today.

Tomorrow he should email & I will write an update.....

10 comments:

Kim Sue said...

what super guys...I can't wait to hear more from Brian - the missionary.

Kristy said...

Good friends are so important!! We are so blessed that we live in such a great area.

wende said...

oh man, i wish i knew what to say to help you not miss brian so much! i'm going to be a mess i know it, because i'm already having anxiety about it. scout camp was hard enough. let yourself cry about it - it's ok, but then remember that he is so happy! his email are dripping with happiness. you're a lucky mom to have such neat kids - it says a lot about the kind of awesome mother that you are!

i'm so glad megan is coming home soon and you found an apartment for her! see - you ARE an awesome mom, i don't know if i could do that either!

you're right about one thing though...good friends ARE a blessing, teenagers or grown women, nothing beats a great friend. i'm so glad i have you! love you patsy!

Jill said...

It's wonderful that Brian has such good friends, and that you're so supportive and fond of them as well. I'm sure they love having you run over to hug them when you see them!

I'm sorry you're missing Brian, I hope tomorrow's email from him will help the hurt.

Unknown said...

as i've commented before, i simply can't imagine my son being away for two months. i would be the mom crying in the costco aisle!

but, i would also be the mom hugging my son's friends. hoping tomorrow's email is a bright spot in your week!

Karrie said...

Hey I tried to find you after church to say "HI" where were you? I'm sorry you're sad, but I was thinking in the same sacrament meeting that in just a few months Brian will be over the hump and on the down side...keep smiling and be happy!

Cecilia said...

Good friends are so important!
I'll be calling you to get advice when my kids are teens!
You're GREAT MOM!
I can't wait to hear the update on the missionary. Hang in there!

Holly said...

I think it's so sweet you have a relationship with so many of Brian's friends--sounds like it's good for everyone.

Hope you've gotten your email!
Hugs.

Stacie said...

It makes me sad that I only have girls sometimes! I read about your missionary and think how lucky you are to have boys! Madison talks about a mission someday and I encourage her telling her I wish I had gone! Really--I wish I had!! I think it would have helped with my fear of public speaking--maybe--but given me a better core understanding of the gospel!

Looks like Brian had some great friends and their were good influences on each other!! Friends are great aren't they!?!

Janae said...

That is a great e-mail:) I am sorry you have been sad:( I hope you are doing better. He sounds like he is doing really well though. He sounds like his testimony is growing leaps and bounds...so wonderful:)