Thursday, May 22, 2008

missionary update

Yesterday besides getting a fabulous email from the missionary, he sent some pictures!!
This is Brian with Elder Cuevos (the bird catcher.) I love that bird catcher story. Anyhow, Elder Cuevos is home now but here is a picture of the two of them. Love it!
Also, you'll NEVER believe this one, here is Brian & a friend Nadia from H.S. Yep, she was in Chile??? She was there with one of BYU's international dance teams doing a show that the missionarys got to go to. Brian said he couldn't believe it. He thought he would never run into anyone from home- it's truly a small world.
And most importantly... here he is baptizing an 11 year old boy in a lake last Saturday! He says it was freezing like you can't believe. This boy's parents have been baptized & going to church for quite some time but wanted to wait until they thought their son was ready before they let him make this commitment. Brian was thrilled to teach him & have the opportunity to baptize him. I have to say that I busted out in tears when the picture came up. I love it!
The missionary is well-
*says his companion is a "lazy butt who won't work very hard" - that was nice
* he was sick with a fever last week, but is okay now-
*he got my package with girl scout samoa cookies in it & nearly had a heart attack he was so happy (we love those babies)
Then added this: I was talking the other day with a member about the gifts that Heavenly Father has given. I love how ever person has been given a gift but not everyone has all the gifts. I was thinking when i was talking with this member because she told me that she didnt have a gift. I realized, because it says that we, obviously, make up the church of Jesus Christ. If we as people make up the church of Christ then each one of us has importance and part of it is because of our gift. God gives gifts to edify and to uplift or help others and to help uplift and edify the church as well. (i hope i´m making sense) What i´m trying to say is that each of you is very important. You have a gift that is important to you and is important for others. I would invite you if you dont know what you gift is to find it and to cultivate it. To make it stronger and more apparent and by doing so you will bless other with you gift. This is in Doctrine and Covenants 46. There is a list of possible gifts that people have and all that. Each of you is important. Salvacion is personal, but with your gifts you can help others to acheive their goal. Even if you don´t realize it.

Having a son as a missionary is proving to be an absolutely amazing experience. It was so hard to see him go- like one of the hardest things I have ever done- but let me tell you the paybacks, their incredible. I love this kid, love my family, love the gospel- I know it's true & that he is doing exactly what his Heavenly Father wants him to do.

8 comments:

michelle said...

I love the baptism picture!! That is so cool. I can only imagine how hard it is to send a son out on a mission -- but letters like that where you can see his spiritual development must be hugely rewarding as well.

Kristy said...

How awesome! Love this post! I am so happy for Brian, what neat experiences he is having.....it brought tears to my eyes!

Janae said...

What a great missionary update. it sounds like things are going so well and his testimony just keeps growing and growing...so great! Already a baptism...awesome! Wonderful pictures too:)

Jill said...

I love these missionary updates. I'm so glad Brian is doing well. It must have been wonderful for him to see his friend from high school, and so amazing to baptize someone in a freezing lake. His words about gifts are great too.

Stacie said...

What a great missionary update! Sounds like he is doing well and serving the Lord tremendously! What an awesome baptism picture! I couldn't take my eyes off it! Great kid!! :)

Karrie said...

I love what Brian said about gifts and wow what cute girl...maybe when he gets home he should look her up....I love love love the baptisim picture how awesome is that!

Anonymous said...

How fun to see those pictures of Brian! Doesn't it just make you proud?

wende said...

oh man, thanks for the great post that left me teary-eyed. i'm so glad you'll be a pro at this by the time my boys leave! i'm such a boob!