Monday, May 12, 2008

sand collection

This is my sand collection.
I have been wanting to post about it for a while & today is that day. I love the beach even though I don't swim, don't want to swim & never get in a swimsuit. Something about being near a beach is just breathtaking for me. I love aquariums, sea life, everything beachy. I started collecting sand unfortunately after Brett & I went on a cruise several years back. I wish I had sand from those beaches we visited. Friends bring me sand back from vacations & we gather it when we are on vacation - I love it. I love to see how different the world's sand is. White from Mexico & the Bahamas- Golden from Hawaii & light grey from California. I hope to someday have shelves of different sand in my bathroom not just on the window seal. Sand is a great thing to collect. It's free & so beautiful & interesting. It's lovely & reminds me of vacationing. I buy all my bottles here. I've bought them in the store & on line. I picked up 10 of them last spring while we were in NY but now for some reason I can't find them online. I use a label maker to document the beach & state or country it came from.
I have sand from Ecuador when Megan was working in an orphanage, from Hawaii, from CA from St. Thomas, from Mexico- I even have sand from Liberty Island where they were patching the grass. I'm sure it was just bought at home depot & placed there by the grounds crew, but I don't care- it came from Liberty Island just below the Statue of Liberty & I love it.
I have always dreamed of owning a beach or lake house. Because I live NO WHERE near the ocean & very far from a decent lake... that's not likely to happen, at least not in this life.
So if you are near the beach & want to add to my collection- great- send me some sand- about 1/2 cup in a Ziploc bag or dried out water bottle. Remember to include the name of the beach & state or country it came from. I will add it to my wall.
*do you have a collection?
*do you love the beach?

8 comments:

Kristy said...

It is fun seeing a picture of your sand collection. I should start one for bathroom it has an ocean theme decorated with items I buy on trips to the ocean.

Karrie said...

I love this collection and want to go on vacation now...I may have to start a collection of my own.

Anonymous said...

your sand collection is amazing...so is your blog and I love checking up on the messer family. I have decided to give into the addiction! I started a blog for dave and me a couple weeks ago. Feel free to check up on me anytime {I feel that it is only fair since I look at your blog all the time...Sometimes I feel like I am spying!} Anyways, thanks for the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

haha oops I forgot to give you my address! its: www.daveandlinds.blogspot.com

Stacie said...

Those bottles are so fun--unique size and shape! Perfect for the collector! What a fun collection!

Kerby always calls me a 'collector' but I think he thinks I am a junk collector!! ;)

I love momentos--they help me remember the memory!! :)

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing to collect! I never realized that sand from all over would be so different. I mean it is all sand- who knew? Thanks for doing a little show and tell :)

michelle said...

That is a great collection. And yes, I LOVE the beach!

Jill said...

I love the beach too, but have never collected any sand. Your bottles look darling in the window sill like that.