Wednesday, May 14, 2008

oops... (cough, gag) I almost burned the house down

It was such a boring day. I got a lot done but nothing to blog about.
Then because of the hot weather coming I decided I better set the oven to clean. You see I had this brilliant idea to make bacon in the oven last week. I saw it on The Barefoot Contessa- really. She put bacon on a cooling rack then cooked it in the oven. Well it worked great but left a puddle of grease in the bottom of my oven that had to go. I just figured I would put it on self clean & ... done.
Nope. Bad idea.
CAn I just say I am so glad Jack is home tonight!
(this is an afterward action shot)
I set the oven on clean, sent jack to the store to buy a brownie mix (chloe has to take a homemade treat to school tomorrow (does a brownie mix count as homemade?)- I know, I know- how was she supposed to cook them? I'm an idiot), put trent to bed, then went downstairs to see that the whole main floor was enveloped in thick smoke.
Oh my gosh. There was thick black smoke pouring from the oven. Not to mention two foot flames inside of the oven.
Jack came home from buying the brownies & thought the house was on fire.

(can you see the black smoke coming out?- the picture doesn't even really show it- & this is after Jack turned it off & it started to cool down!)

I called my neighbor to ask what to do - duh- turn the oven off. Usually it won't turn off, but it did. Jack & I ran all over opening windows - then down to the basement to get a huge fan.

I found the masks we bought in case of the flu pandemic. We were coughing & gagging, running outside between opening windows to get a breath.

My eyes are still burning from the smoke.
Does it bother you as much as me that
NOT ONE SINGLE FIRE ALARM WENT OFF
My whole house is full of thick black smoke!!
I don't know if I can sleep now.

8 comments:

wende said...

patsy! i'm so glad you didn't burn the house down sheesh! how funny, i've enjoyed catching up on your posts. i LOVE the chore chart thing, we used to do it but stopped and i think it's time to revisit this for the summer especially.

i LOVE your sand collection, the next time i'm at a beach, it's all yours girl! hopefully i'm at a beach in october if we can make it to florida.

ps. i cook bacon in the oven all the time, it's the only way i cook bacon. you can cook it on a cooling rack but you have to have a cookie sheet underneath it to catch the greese. i actually lay it right out on the cookie sheet and flip it half way. perfect bacon every time. good luck next time!

Becky said...

NO fire alarms went off?!? I would definitely get that figured out! Whew--glad everything turned out OK.

I hate that smoke smell. Once when I was bringing groceries home, I set a grocery bag with cereal boxes on the stove (mine is almost exactly the same as yours--in fact, it's probably just a newer version of the same thing). Somehow without realizing it I bumped one of the knobs and TURNED ON THE STOVETOP!! Let me tell you--burnt Lucky Charms do not smell good :)

Unknown said...

i really don't know how to comment on this... glad you are OK - you really have some funny stories to share...

but kudos to jack for posing for the after photos.

Bren's Life said...

Can I say first I am so glad you guys are ok, but 2nd that is so funny to see your son with the fan & mask.. But I am really glad no one got hurt....

Kristy said...

Oh my HECK Patsy!!!! I really need to clean my ovens....one self cleaning the other one not so I am dreading the job. Now I am scared to clean my ovens!!!

Amanda :-) said...

That's all so weird and horrible and such a relief at the same time. No wonder you didn't sleep well!

What's a 'self-clean' mode? I've never heard of that. And your lack of response from the alarms...is alarming, if you'll pardon the pun. I'm glad it all veered on the side of a happy ending!

Jill said...

This is frightening and funny at the same time. I'm so glad you took pictures to document it. What a relief that nothing terrible happened, but has the stank left the house yet?

michelle said...

1. Quick thinking on manning the camera for photo documentation of this incident.

2. I meant to tell you today that when Eva was a baby I made a bundt cake for book club. I didn't realize that my newer bundt pan is smaller than my old one, and thus I filled it too full. It overflowed and the batter on the bottom of the oven burned up and my house was completely filled with smoke. When Eva and I went to book club we smelled like a campfire! It was so strange to lean down and smell my baby's head and get a whiff of that. (oh, and my smoke alarms didn't go off either)

3. It's probably too late to tell you this, but in the event that this should ever happen again... you can simmer a little bit of vinegar on the stove or sprinkle baking soda on your carpets and vacuum to help with the smoky smell. But I'm crossing my fingers that you'll never need that knowledge!