Saturday, May 30, 2009

saturday mornings

It was my turn to drive ballet carpool today- I was glad.
Glad to have a few peaceful moments by myself during the hour & fifteen minute wait.
First I went to the fabric store & picked
out this for an apron I want to make for a wedding giftThen I stopped in here- Great Harvest Bread to get a scone.
Isn't this the cutest store front?

Back to the ballet studio to read alone in the car- bliss.
I'm reading Eat Cake-
because heaven knows there is not enough cake around here...?When I was growing up as a teen I played church ball. I was horrible at it. I didn't necessarily want to play- in those days you just had to. Mildred Lee our coach & one of the player's mom would usually take us to practice/games on Saturday mornings. It's great memory for me. I think now about the sacrifice she made to do this, even though her daughter was playing- surely we weren't always easy & I wasn't even talented- slowly I got better- thanks to her. By my senior year I could play softball, pretty good... well I could play.

My favorite Saturdays were the ones where after practice she would take us to get a Slurpee. Great memory there. So- I love to take these girls to get one too.

I hope they will have fond memories of Chloe's mom driving them to ballet & those occasions when she took them to get a Slurpee.
Sometimes it's the simple things.

11 comments:

wende said...

i am SURE this will be a fun memory for them. who doesn't love a slurpee.

and that fabric is divine! you have impecable taste for fabric AND gift giving. i smell and etsy store SOON. i'll be your first customer ok?

Nichole Neumeyer said...

Ummm...sorry but those are not slurpees, those are icees. Come on now, get it right! hahaha

Kristy said...

Love the fabric it is so dang cute!!!!

Fun memories with your daughter!

Karrie said...

Way Cute fabric...If I resolve to cook can I have one? I want to go on a slurpee run!!!!

shannon said...

You are the fabric guru! I read a book one time where the girl had such an addiction to quilting fabric that she couldn't help herself after she had purchased it from fondling it when she was stopped at red lights...

Are you guilty of this? :)

I am a slurpee lover through and through...

I think it's great to have little traditions like that...those are the things that meant the world to me as a kid...

Gail said...

I secretly like driving the ballet carpool sometimes too. It feels like it is the only alone time I get some weeks. Thanks for caring about my girl.

She Loves To Make said...

I love the fabric you picked out! I bet the girls love driving to ballet with you! Not only do you listen to cool music, but you also get slurpees!

Jill said...

I loved "Eat Cake" and have fond memories of it. We read it for book club several years ago and it was one of those books that leaves a smile on your face.

I love it that you're the fun mom who takes the girls to get slurpees after dance class!

Kari Sweeten said...

That's going to be a DARLING apron!

Karolynn said...

Oh you must post the finished apron! Darling fabric! The girls WILL remember your kindness!

Janae said...

I love how Jill said Eat Cake was one of those books that leave a smile on your face! I could not agree more:)
I loved having a fun, light hearted read...those are rare for me. It was a fun change.
What a fun carpooling mom you are:)
I am going to do better! YOu are inspiring:)