Monday, May 11, 2009

charlie brown

Hailey's musical theater class has been working on this musical for months now.
Did you know there was a Charlie Brown- the musical?
It's opening night in just a couple of days.

Yesterday I chaperoned for 2 1/2 hours & was transported back in time to the SEVEN other times I have had kids in this class. Seven- Megan, Brian, Jack were in it two years each & Hailey was in it last year. It's a great fun experience but I have to admit- I was not sad when Chloe told me she didn't want to be in it next year, and was not trying out. I would have supported her- she is just all ballerina.
Not that it has been any work for me- it hasn't. I made Hailey's costume & shuttle her back & forth to the theater, that's it. I am so amazed at the other mom's who volunteer so, so, so much time. I feel indebted. I also feel like I don't have it in me- to be with 30+ Jr. high school age kids for more than 2 hours. they were being really good...
but listen- I do cub scouts- doesn't that count for something?
(the last half hour I left... I snuck out the door- I swear they didn't really need me- please don't tell!)

I wonder if Trent will want to be in Musical Theater?
Hmmm
Maybe?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the sneaking out. I won't tell anyone.

Anonymous said...

I miss my theater days- so many good memories! My mom was one of those that was over involved, I don't know how she did it though. I know the other moms thanked her time and time again and my friends really appreciated it! I can't imagine doing it time and time again with multiple kids, it would wear me out!

Jill said...

I can't imagine my kids being involved with musical theater, but if they do I'm sure it will be a challenge for me since I get embarrassed for the actors in such things. I realize that it's fun to be part of the show though, so I'm happy for the people involved, I just don't have a need to be.

Karrie said...

I think Trent is the perfect future Charlie Brown...or peppermint Patty's little brother!

shannon said...

While you were enjoying yourself at the musical, I was sitting through a gruelling 3 hour ballet!
(2 intermissions!!) I much prefer musicals (even on kid levels) to operas or ballets...

And yes!--cub scouts count for EVERYthing!!!

Kristy said...

Hailey's costume looks ways cute....at least what I can see! Kelly would die if he had to go to something like that! I pray every year one of my kids will be in a full blown musical and he HAS to go! Mean huh???

I love the musicals! Have fun!

Janae said...

Love that picture of Trent! too funny...
I'm pretty excited i won't be doing this one for awhile...i'm sure my day is coming though, with lilli that is.

Beth said...

Service in Cub scouts totally gives you an out from enduring anything you don't want to, that involves the gathering of mass children in costumes... (I think it says that in the handbook) :)

wende said...

i agree - bless their cotton pickin' hearts.

and i LOVE that photo of trent. it reminds me of BOLT - when he learns about being a real dog and sticks his head out the window. so great.

and yes, scouts counts for it all. the theater volunteers would probably never want to do scouts, so see, we all have our things.

Natalie Gordon said...

I am so glad I found your blog, and I figured out how to get the pictures! So cute. You're an awesome mom, and in my book, cub scouts not only counts, it guarantees you a place in heaven!

Cecilia said...

You're such a good Mom! Cub Scouts counts for sure! I would've done the same after 2 hours of jr. high kids and I love musicals!!!!

crystal said...

Oh my goodness gracious!!! That photo of Trent is CLASSIC.

I have to go look at it again, just for the laugh. I love that kid.