Monday, May 4, 2009

women's conference 2009

I got home late Friday night from women's conference. It's been a whirlwind of activity since then... really busy- but I wanted to document a few of my favorite thoughts & moments before they are lost in my-- not so great memory. First of all- You know how I love BYU - but especially in the spring. The campus was so full of beauty. The grounds impeccable & blooming. I of course, forgot my camera card & only had a few pictures I could take .
(!#*&#*-- it was "Women's Conference" so I will not tell you how I really feel about that.)
{ Megan - Me - Ruthie}
We went to many fabulous classes- here are some of the highlights:
1. Reclaiming the Joy of the Sabbath- by Dianne Madsen & Brent Top
*Our testimony determines how we prepare for the Sabbath day.
* Reclaim the JOY of the Sabbath - call the Sabbath a delight.
*look for the positive/ don't be negative about what you can't do...
*The Sabbath day is a gift to us! When properly observed, we will know that we are on the Lord's side & will be protected & blessed by Him.
2. "Beware of the Evil Behind the Smiling Eyes" Discernment & the Media- by Mary Rasband & Jon Mott
*Establish internal & external filters- not just the kind you buy-- but talk about what is appropriate in your home & outside your home.
*Where do we spend our time vs. our real priorities. HOw much time do we REAlly spend on the internet vs. what we think.... ?
*our behavior online- is it consistent with our regular behavior ? What about our teens?
* technology is full of good... & evil- be prepared-
3. Precious Children, a Sacred, Noble Stewardship": Fulfillment in Motherhood- by Julianne Clark, Bonnie Cordon, & Katie Smith
(I didn't take notes here...I can't remember why- it was really good though)
Friday morning - what a tREAT!!
I looked around during the opening session & guess who I saw-
one of my favorite bloggers- Crystal-
I mustered up some courage & introduced myself.
We took a photo here... oh boy- that's how much I love crystal-
I'm willing to put this picture up of myself- that's a lot!
We walked to our next classes together & she is a delight.
It is so exciting to meet a fellow blogger.
The opening session Friday morning was truly one of the best parts of the conference. Julie Beck was the speaker- she is one of my favorites & her talk was very inspiring to me.
*The Proclamation is not something new, just reiterated.
*Anti- Christ teachings & policies are always Anti- family.
*We must preserve our families against evil by
1. clearly focusing on the blessing of eternal life.
2. being involved in God's work everyday.
*Be intentional about everything we do! As parents set specific goals for our children & map out a plan on how you will accomplish them.
* Be intentional about creating a strong family.
* Create opportunities to teach.
* Our homes should be based on Love!
4. Love is What We go through Together- by Cami Rush & Jill Stevens Shepherd
*Dear to the Heart of the Shepard are His sheep. We promised at baptism to look over our brothers & sisters.
*How can you tell if you or someone else is converted to the Lord Jesus Christ? By how they treat others.
*Be the kind of person who nurtures others- who builds them up- if you think something nice about someone, say it! Everyone loves/needs a compliment. leave people better than when you found them.
*Be kind - for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle- Plato
* Take time to be quiet, be still, read the scriptures & pray. The Holy Ghost will help us to know who is in need of our help.
5. Faith is not a Feeling; it is a Decision- by David Christensen & Alena Taylor
*our quest for eternal life is a day by day process not a one time event!
* even beyond the grave we will be working at being better.
* Doubt & Faith cannot exist at the same time.
* Perfection- be as perfect as you can be then- let it go-
* Your Faith is as good as your understanding of Jesus Christ.
* Have you come to terms with you YOU are? If not your faith will be filled with doubt. Love YOURself. don't be so hard on you.
* Pray for the gift of faith, for it is a gift.
* Pray to the Father to know His Son so that your faith can increase.
* Pray to help you accept what is realistic for you to achieve.
* How do you develop faith? ACCEPT YOURSELF & DO YOUR BEST TO KNOW THE SAVIOR
* The purpose of faith? To bring up happiness
If you are still reading this-
You can see it was a beautiful conference!
The closing speaker was Elder L. Tom Perry.
He too was so great to listen to, full of wisdom & insight.
so- have you ever been to Women's Conference?
Broadcast of different speakers can be found here?
if you have cable tv, you just may be able to watch some... even if you don't live in Utah.
It's really worth it :)

8 comments:

She Loves To Make said...

Women's conference was so fun! Thanks for letting me come!

Beth said...

I just HAVE to come do this with you sometime! It sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing some of your notes! So awesome!

{HUGS}

crystal said...

Hee hee! That's how much I love you, too! I don't even mind one bit that my chipmunk cheeks are front-&-center in that photo.

Seriously! That was so fun to have you grab me! I wanted to follow you around the rest of the day so we could chat, but I curbed my stalker-ish impulse & made do with following you across campus. ha!

Karrie said...

I really need to go next year....It sound so great! Especially the blogger stalking.

Janae said...

This sounds so awesome! I really want to make it there (women's conference) someday:)
I love that quote by Plato! so true. do true.

Jill said...

It's good to read your notes from the classes you went to. I have to try not to fret about all the classes I didn't get to go to sometimes.

I love it that you recognized Crystal and ran over to her. It would have been silly not to! I loved meeting her as well.

shannon said...

I'm so jealous that you were able to go to Women's Conference! What an amazing experience this sounds like!--

I might have to make a plan to go for next year!--seriously!

I would have been so exciting to see you there!

I love that you stopped by Jill's house with brownies and a gift bag for Kristi from fellow bloggers...
You guys are so incredibly thoughtful!--I want to super-impose myself into your life!!

wende said...

we NEED to do this next year. i am saying, yes, take me please. i'll even let you take a bad photo of me and post it. i love YOU that much.

i love that you took such detailed notes. my mom said everything was so inspiring.