Tuesday, May 5, 2009

converted

Last Saturday morning after dropping Megan off at the airport
{picture by Hailey}
We ran home, threw together some blankets, warm clothes & hot cocoa - it was raining buckets, went to the bathroom (sat down my camera & left it....aaargh!)
then headed out to
We got to the pro-stadium, sat down in our seats,
the rain stopped & the match began...
ARE YOU SITTING DOWN?
because- you are not going to believe this!
I loved it
I had an awakening of sorts.
A change of heart.
Every rugby game I have ever been to has been me sitting on the side lines.
From the side lines it looks like a jumbled up mess of flesh
going after a ball, all willy nilly, who knows what?
But in a stadium....
with stadium seating...
-WOW-
When you can see it... Rugby is kind of cool.
there is stadegy & purpose to all that huddling stuff- who knew?
Dear Rugby Jack-
I am sorry. I am truly sorry that I have been giving you heck for playing rugby for the past three years. I am sorry that I did not support you & get excited for your games like a mother should. I feel bad that I didn't order you the team sweats or bag, just because, "you are a senior & you won't be playing next year"- (even though I bought many, many t-shirts last year.) I am proud of you for sticking with it, going to practices & being part of a team. It was fun watching you play the whole first half on Saturday, although I will admit when the punches flew & while other boys were getting smashed into the grass I was on pins & needles. As the other team, parents & coaches got into fights yelling obscenities... I was proud of my boy & his team- such great sportsmanship! Even though every time you got the ball I screamed, "just throw the ball Jack- hurry!" It wasn't because I didn't think you could do it... you see I am your mother. You may not like it, it may seem crazy, but you will always in my mind be my baby. The worst part about being a mom is I make a lot of mistakes. Surely just when I get really good at it- everyone will move out.
I finally saw rugby. I am sad that you are playing in your final tournament this weekend. Even though I didn't miss all your games, I did miss out. I will be there. I hope I can see the game- not just the mess of bodies & supposed confusion. Good luck.
I love you,
mom
p.s. remember your senior photo session is next weekend so do me a favor-
keep your face off the grass okay?!
You can see Jack's Rugby team here

5 comments:

Unknown said...

what a sweet revelation!! i can't wait to one day watch my jack in a soccer game that doesn't involve folding chairs and bug spray!!

She Loves To Make said...

Yay! I'm so glad you like it now. I'm sure that means a lot to Jack.

Jill said...

Who knew that stadium seating could so drastically change your mind?! Wow, that's great. Jack must be thrilled that you've had a change or heart, and amused by your apology.

Anonymous said...

I love watching sports I enjoy, but I haven't even thought about watching them from the sideline when I can't see the whole picture! Your apology is cracking me up.

Sorry I haven't commented in forever- there really is no excuse!

Janae said...

You are a good mom to give Jack such a sweet apology. He is so lucky to have you:)