Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Big Part of My Life ~ Sunday Singing Time

Every Sunday I teach music to children. "Sunday school" in our church for children age 3-11 is called Primary. I am the Primary music leader. It is a job that I truly love. The songs are beautiful & full of the love of Christ. We have been preparing for our Primary program on September 24 when we are presenting what we have learned throughout the year to the congregation. It is one of the best Sundays of the year for sure. There is a lot of music involved, of course which we have been working on since January. Starting in August we are reviewing songs every week instead of learning anything new to be sure we are ready-plus a lot of families are on vacation. Even though it seems kind of boring to me to keep reviewing every week- I love to teach new songs- the kids seem to really enjoy it. We have played Name That Tune, Hide the Light-(one child hides a flashlight in the room while another is out, everyone sings louder & softer until they find it) & today rolled the music dice. It's a square cube with different words written on it like, skip a word, stand up, girls only...etc. It is their all time favorite.
Growing up in the church & going to primary every week I can only remember one or two of my teachers, but I can almost vividly remember the music leaders. The songs have stuck in my mind & even the posters they used to teach the songs. I know a big part of my testimony of Christ has grown from singing songs about Him as a child. It is so fulfilling to me to see these children learning & feel their beautiful spirits as they sing. A couple of weeks ago we were done singing & one of the boys said- Oh man, do we have to quit? It was such a compliment from a boy- especially. Today one of the boys who comes with his grandmother asked if we could sing a favorite song. I'll Walk With You. He is kind of a rough kid who doesn't have the best home life, it touched my heart & I held back tears. That song is about kids who are different or handicapped -walking & talking with everyone like Jesus would even if they can't walk or talk like most kids. Great Sunday!

No comments: