Friday, August 17, 2007

Book Review

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan was my book club's choice for July. I have to say that I really thought it was a great read. It's a story of a woman in the 40's whose husband is a drunk. He spends most of his meager earnings on booze while his wife raises their 10 children by the skin of her teeth winning the contests of the day. "The Prize Winner"is a true story of courage, strength, love & ingenuity. I found it to be very uplifting and fun to read. It is written by one of the children & I found it remarkable how much love & respect the kids have for their remarkable mother. I checked this copy out of the library & found that their were many copies. It sounds depressing but truly is delightful. Evelyn Ryan- the mother has the remarkable ability to look on the bright side of life & teaches her children to do the same. (I had actually seen a story about the book on The Today Show-one of my favorite shows that I haven't seen since school got out- as much as I love certain TV I don't watch hardly any in the summer- so I was thrilled when this book was chosen.) If you are looking for something to read, check it out. It's easy reading & I had a hard time putting it down.

No comments: