Thursday, June 12, 2008

sweet field trip

Today feels like it is finally summer. It's a sunny day & it looks like mother nature has finally decided to bring on some heat. After today it's supposed to hit the 80's then the 90's & something tells me the rainy days are over for a while. Trent, Chloe & I took a picnic lunch into dad's office. He supplied the drinks. We stopped & got his favorite cookies to go with our sandwiches, chips & table cloth.
These two were so excited to surprise him with the cookies!
After that Karen & I took the kids on our second field trip.
It was totally SWEET!
We went on a Sweet's Candy FActory Tour!! It was so much fun. I wish- so bad- that they allowed cameras in the factory. It was so fun to see all the huge bags of sugar, workers making taffy- jelly beans-cinnamon bears, chocolate enrobing machines covering marshmallow pumpkins for Halloween... it was heavenly! We got to taste orange sticks straight off the line & freshly wrapped Halloween taffy!! Yep they are working on Halloween candy already. Taffy fresh off the wrapping machine is so soft & so yummy. The smell in there was lovely. On the ceiling there were pipes labeled corn syrup & chocolate. Can you imagine a chocolate piping through the factory- wow.

The kids picked out some taffy to bring home.
They were digging through the bags trying all the flavors. Our favorite flavors were cherry cola & juicy pear. We also love the raspberry sticks- mmmmm.

I felt like I was inside of a Mr. Roger's movie.
You know the factory ones he used to show?
I loved those.

We actually went on this field trip last year in august. We loved it so much we put it on the top of our list this year.
*have you ever been on a factory tour?
*do you love salt water taffy?
*would you like warm chocolate piping through your house?

10 comments:

Johnna said...

So are there any field trips scheduled while we are there in July. It looks like so much fun!

johnna :)

Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun! I remember the little field trips we used to do. I loved those :)--megs

michelle said...

It looks like it was a great summer day! How fun to go on a field trip with the kiddos! :)

Karrie said...

Looks like fun!! My favorite flavors are cinnamon, licorice(sp?), peppermint yumo!

Unknown said...

what a *sweet* day. i love salt water taffy. we usually keep some here at the hotel for guests to snack on (you know, it enhances their whole beach experience, i think.)

Holly said...

Sounds like a fun outing!

I'd take the warm chocolate running through my house for sure, but I'm not a fan of salt water taffy.

Janae said...

What a fun field trip! I need to go do this one it looks way too yummy to miss:)

wende said...

mr.roger's movies were my favorite part about watching his show. remember the one where they made trumpets? that one and the gum one were my favorites. i miss mr.rogers. my favorite salt water taffy flavor is banana.

Jill said...

Do you just show up for the tour or do you have to call ahead to schedule it? This sounds like a fun thing to do this summer.

I've been to the Peppermint Place tour in Alpine.

I like Salt Water Taffy, though I don't ever go out of my way to get it.

I'd be fine with chocolate running through my house.

patsy said...

That was such a fun day thank you for taking us your such a great mom!

yes,I love salt water taffy

yes, I would LOVE warm chocolate piping through our house. I could have fondue anytime.

*Chloe*