Thursday, June 5, 2008

summer field trip

Today we went on our first of hopefully many summer field trips.
I love the Beehive house & have taken my kids here before. I remember visiting here as a kid when we were in Salt Lake. It's really fun.

We took Caroline & Lily with us. Brittany & her roommate met us here.

First off we went into what used to be Brigham Young's office & saw his tools! Trent was pretty excited about that. It was neat to see his initials carved into them BY. Cool. I think Brett should start carving his initials into his tools BM. Of course brother Brigham made his tools & our tools are frequently found out in the lawn covered in snow or rain....

This desk was made by him out of a covered wagon that came across the plains!

His secretary had the first typewriter in the valley.

This lovely art work is also in the office. It is really different. The women used to comb their hair at night then save the hair & yep... make this flower art work. Hmmmm.

Here we are waiting for the tour to begin.

The rooms were magnificent. This home is so beautifully restored. Every detail is fantastic.

This is the music room. I think it was my favorite. At night the adults & children would play music. Kind of like we do, instead of watching TV. That was sarcasm.
This is the kitchen. Brigham's wife Lucy kept a pot of soup on at all times for stop in guests. She was really a super mom with seven children.

This picture is fuzzy but it's the the play room. It was right next to the school room & by far the kid's favorite. The little toys are so cute.

This was another favorite. His oldest daughter Clarissa's room. This dress is her wedding dress.
She was tiny. Her foot was a size 3. Above the wedding dress is another flower hair art piece. Those pioneers were hard workers & had some serious time on their hands.

These are our two fabulous sister tour guides. One was from Minnesota the other Australia.

At the end of the tour they give everyone a lemon drop. That was something Brigham Young always did. I remember getting to choose a lemon drop or piece of horehound candy after taking this tour as a kid. Fun times.

Of course the grounds are spectacular. Everything is so green here from all the rain we are getting.

We watched a photographer taking photos of a bride & groom. We were so lucky to have such great weather on Megan's big day!! It wasn't raining at this moment, but this poor couple had to be cold & wet.

We went upstairs at the Joseph Smith building to take in the view!

This is the best view in town.

I am so amazed at how much fun we had today. Mostly in part because Trent was so good! When he was little we stopped taking him places for a short time, then started back up but always with a back up plan. Outings have always been so hard for him. But, not today! He was PERFECT.
I am so relieved- there is hope- all our hard work is starting to pay off.
I hope I didn't just jinx myself....
Brittany & Sue stopped here The Garden Restaurant for lunch. If you are ever in Salt Lake City it's a must stop for lunch or dinner. The food is fantastic, be sure to ask for a table near a window- the view is breathtaking!
We on the other hand went to my favorite bakery. Everyone picked out a treat!

Trent got a plain croissant. What?? I know I have failed as a mother...

Caroline got this yummy chocolate hazelnut thing. Oh my it was delicious.

Chloe had a cream puff with strawberries. I was seriously jealous.

Lily a chocolate cake with chocolate mousse. She just started piano & there's a treble cleft on the top- how fitting!

I had bread pudding. I am in love with bread pudding.

Next we dropped off over 450,000 pop tops at the Ronald McDonald House. It's just down the street. Our school collects these all through the year. It's a great project. The kids count & sort them in their math lessons then I drop them off in the summer.

Thanks to Lily & Caroline for going with us.
It was a great field trip day!

8 comments:

Karrie said...

too fun...I haven't been to the Lion House or Beehive HOuse in forever...My wedding reception was at the Lion House.

Jill said...

What a day, I'm so glad Trent did so well. I don't think you've failed him as a mother because of his croissant choice, maybe he's a purist. Ha.

Johnna said...

What a fun experience. You are the coolest mom! Summer field trips? What a great idea, I will pass that along to my adult children since I never thought of that when they were at home. Thank you for raising the bar....

Love you,

Johnna :)

Stacie said...

Oh the memories!! I had my reception at the Lion house! How the memories came flooding back with the pictures! I love how green it is! I got married in August and it was still green then!

Yummy desserts! I am glad you showed them all to us--I'm suddenly hungry!

I haven't eaten at the Garden Room but I have heard great things about it. Isn't there another restaurant across the hall? I think I have eaten at that one and the view is breathtaking!!

Kristy said...

We have had a super lazy week! We have not done a thing! You are a good Mom to go on field trips. Maybe next week we will get it together.....I think the rain has depressed me this week, I am ready for sun!

Unknown said...

glad it was a great day all around! i know it can be exhausting when someone doesn't want to participate in the outing du jour...

Beth said...

You are such a good Mom! I am so inspired to do fun things this summer and try to create fun memories!
It might have a different outcome dragging my teenager around, I should have started much earlier!

Oh, well like Johnna says their is hope for the next generation anyway!

Thanks for sharing such a fun day!

Holly said...

What a nice outing! I love to tour historic sights/homes too--though we have not braved that yet with A.

It's hard to top a stop by the bakery. Yum!