Saturday, June 28, 2008

girl's camp wrap up

girl's camp was an absolute success!
our stake committee organized camp around the fantastic theme:
A MOment In Time:
You don't remember the days, only the moments.
Here are some moments I don't want to forget:
*setting up camp before all the girl's & leaders got there
*putting up the amazing clock that sky & her brother in law made- it was so cool!
*the skits- each ward picked a time period months ago & a subject out of the strength of youth pamphlet. Those were what they had to write their script around. Our ward had - cave man days & language, ooga mooga it was so cute! The creativity was OUT of THis World-- such great skits!!!
*food- oh my gosh! We ate so good & so much food- our food committee really out did themselves with different flavored pancakes, dutch oven lasagna, cafe rio make alike salads-- yummo. This morning I found myself wishing I could ask - what's for breakfast?
*watching chloe & caroline- first years- they were so excited to be there & so willing to learn & help.
*Teaching Hailey & tiffany some 3rd year requirements... they weren't quite as willing... but I had fun. How to purify water- how to water proof matches- oh ya, I went to camp.
*the mail boxes! Every ward had a ward bucket for a "mail box" Girls all over the stake were encouraged to write letters to each other & drop them in the buckets. It was really great- then each ward had their own "mail boxes" for each girl too. It was fun to walk around & see all the different mail boxes. There were secret wards & secret sisters.... I love camp.
* the devotionals... this is an amazing generation with such great spirit about them.
*the music! I love camp music!!. Our two music leaders- mother & daughter- played guitars & taught us so many fun songs & serious ones too. It was great! When I grow up I really want to learn to play the guitar.
*cleaning the bathrooms...? my main job (so glamorous) was keeping the brand, spanking new flush toilet bathrooms in good order. I had a cleaning chart & divided up all the jobs- the girls were so willing to help & so thrilled to have 8 flush toilets. Not so thrilled to have 10 outhouses. But then hey- when there's 170 girls at camp, now & then an outhouse had to do. Actually it wasn't bad at all. Let me just say I cleaned a lot this week.
*listening to screaming, squealing girls from the comfort of sky's trailer at night. Being on the stake level instead of ward level- even though it was work-it was so much easier than what the ward level had going on. I met so many great women. We had a good time working & laughing together.
*Brett & Trent came up for one night. Thanks to Kristy - Trent came dressed as a ninja... (she let him borrow their costume) lucky for us- no bears showed up cause the ninja scared them away. He also tried consistantly to get the YW president to give him matches? She told him that he should ask his dad- he said- I'm pretty sure he wants you to give them to me, then I'll give them to him. She was way to wise to that one.
*making up awards. Besides bathroom duties, one of my other jobs was coming up with the end of the week awards. I bought several things at the dollar store then us stake leaders got together & figured out ways to use them as awards. It's not easy coming up with award stuff before the event... but had to be done. It turned out really fun. My favorite award... a bag of chips with a stuffed bra strapped around it... it went to the "most supportive ward- for always 'chippin' in."
*the bishopric dinner & testimony night-
*the jr. leader program. Our jr. leaders came up with a program around the important "moments in time." It was divided into three parts. MOtherhood-Education-Temple Marriage. It was so touching & beautiful. I loved it. I'm on spiritual high!
I am so thrilled I had the opportunity to be the assistant camp director- great job- not in charge... I love being the back up gal. Camp is a wonderful opportunity for young women.
When I got home... brett had installed the new kitchen faucet I asked for, for my birthday-- & said it was just for fun- not for my birthday. Man I love that guy!
I'm a lucky gal & happy to be home!
**does anyone know why my picasa slide show is off center?
The pictures are cut off on the right side?? LMK

8 comments:

Kristy said...

Trent's outfit looks really familiar....sorry about that!!!!! Your pictures are awesome and I loved the theme and the sweatshirts. Make sure you keep all your fun ideas so when I get called to be camp director I know where to go!

Johnna said...

It sounds like another successful girls camp! Congratulations on surviving and having an awesome time. Makes me wish I could have been there.

Glad to have you back....and can't wait to see you all in just a few days.....

Jill said...

I'm so impressed with all of these details from camp. It makes me wish I was going this year...crazy!

I love the big clock, the sweatshirts, the mail buckets and shoe holder mail boxes as well. Your girls must have loved having you there. It looks like a fantastic week!

Karrie said...

Great blogging...camp looks great...I will be at the same place in July...I wasn't looking forward to it, but I am now

Unknown said...

i loved looking through all of your pictures. camp sounds like an amazing experience for everyone!!

michelle said...

It looks like Girls Camp was such a success! We got home a week ago. I finally have caught up with all of the laundry! :)

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

Girls camp looks like a lot of fun... I love the giant clock! Thank you so much for the birthday card... you are so thoughtful~

wende said...

great post patsy! i loved the bucket idea. so fun to be there with both of your girls! i loved watching the baby bees, their excitement was so infectious!