Monday, March 3, 2008

Family Night - Chloe Edition

Yesterday Chloe came home so excited about her really cute & awesome new primary teacher & the lesson they had. She wanted to share with us what she learned and make these. Homemade pretzels. So that's what we did tonight for family night.

It is such a darling little story I thought I would share it.

"In about 610 A.D. a very creative Alpine Monk decided to make use of the pieces of dough left over from baking bread. The Monk formed them into thin strips folded into a looped twist to represent the folded arms of children in prayer.

This scrumptious treat was given to the children as they learned their prayers. They began calling the treat 'Pretiola', which is Latin for little reward. Soon it was known the world over as a pretzel. The secret of making great pretzels is not only in the baking but also in the shaping. We like pretzels, are made from the best ingredients, by the best hands, the hands of our Father in Heaven. Have you ever seen a broken pretzel, or one that's lost it's shape? we too, can lose our shape when we don't pray always to keep our spirituality intact. Even in the midst of our greatest trials, we must remember, as did Job, to call on the Lord. The simple shape of the pretzel, arms folded in prayer, reminds us to pray each day. Our 'Pretiola' or little rewards are the blessing we receive."

Every time you see a pretzel, remember prayer. Check to see if you arms are often folded in prayer and have not lost their shape.

This recipe is really EASY! I made the dough in my bread maker. You can find the recipe here!

*I think this was my first time making themed FHE treats- do you do that?

*do you have a bread maker? I love mine, but only use the "dough" option, never bake in it.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I loved this post. I am going to remember it for Primary and when we have FHE with our friends. The kids will love it! Great job Chole!

Janae said...

These look so so yummy! I will have to try. My bread maker is gone...I wonder if I could do it in my bosch? I love the themed FHE. I am usually too out of it and throwing my family night together 15 min. before. I will have to do this one though. My family would be in shock and my girls would love:)

Anonymous said...

These look delicious! Sometimes I really wish I lived at home so I get to eat all the great food you make. I miss that. I love the cooking mom's blog you and your blogging friends started. There are a few things I want to try sometime! --Megs