Sunday, July 12, 2009

mt. timpanogas cave

My husband loves to hike.
I don't.
But, I'm a pretty good sport.
For 13 years we have lived here in the great state of Utah...
and we have always said-- we were going to hike up to the Mt. Timpanogas cave, but haven't gotten around to it. In honor of living a "more meaningful life,"we decided to go Friday morning.
Brett took the day off work, we packed a lunch & headed out early. The tickets to the cave sell out early, so the internet says... plus it was going to be a hot day. Everyone needed a jacket- it's only 43 degrees year round in the cave & the tour of the cave lasts about an hour. Most of us preferred to tie a jacket around our waist... others wore theirs with the hood on, the whole entire trip just to annoy the heck out of their mothers-geez louiz, child?

Before leaving Brett searched the internet for a cub scout patch to earn at Mt. Timpanogas National Monument- no luck- but when we got there to get tickets we asked & sure enough-- there was a patch. On the list of requirements it said the scout needed to watch the 17 minute movie about the monument before leaving on the hike- so we did--
and this is where I should have stopped myself...
Watching the informative little movie got me thinking.
Hmm-- 1 1/2 mile hike, 1065 ft. up...
to a cave...?
That little voice inside me said, "I'm not sure this trip is for you?"
I didn't want to spook the kids,
I knew Brett was really excited about this hike...
I didn't say a word.

We found a delightful little picnic spot across the road & ate our lunch. Trent picked up some garbage as part of the patch earning process. It was stunningly beautiful!
The smell of the pine trees was intoxicating & reminded me of the many camping days of my youth. I loved, loved, loved camping as a girl in the mountains of WA state! Loved it.
This was going to be fun!

We started up the trail with many other families. Families with little kids running up the trail with enthusiasm, moms with babies in backpacks (so cute.) I said to Brett- I should bring all of my scouts here! What a great trip! What a great patch! We were amazed & couldn't believe we hadn't been here before this- what a shame- 13 years & we hadn't hiked this trail yet?!

It was a little steep, but so beautiful, not hot yet & it was just great to be out together.

Then
it started.
To get steep.

I learned something about myself - fast-
I don't like kids. running. near. cliffs.
I don't like me. being. near. cliffs. at. all.
or hiking. or being outside. or nature that has to do with views from up really high.

signs like this one-
did not make me feel any better.

I started saying things like,
"DON'T WALK NEXT TO THE EDGE."
"STAY TO THE LEFT"
I started sweating- profusely.
My heart was pounding.
It left it's regular spot in my chest & settled in my throat.
I was getting dizzy.

"Look at that view of the valley!" brett kept saying...
"isn't this gorgeous," brett kept saying... then
"we can walk slower, do you need a drink of water?"
"kids, let's stop & let mom rest for a bit."
I wasn't doing too good.
Not to worry--- we had been walking forever, maybe we were getting close?
or maybe we had been walking for 15 minutes & were only 1/4 of the way up- that was it.


Even though we were walking up hill-
I was going down hill... mentally & physically.
I made it a little over 1/2 way up. I really wanted to go, but it wasn't going to happen.
I could tell that Brett was disappointed with me, but didn't want to be. He married a wimp. Those other families with their little ones walking, running & laughing up a steep mountain... were making me insane. CHILDREN SHOULD NOT WALK NEAR CLIFFS - ESPECIALLY AHEAD OF THEIR PARENTS ALONE. I felt very strongly about this & found myself having to look away when others were near us. I started clinging to the side of the mountain & then hyperventilating. I stopped taking photos. As we turned a corner I looked up- way up- and there were people still walking the trail.
I started to cry.
I could hardly breath.
I thought I might throw up.
It was over.
The rest of the family went on without me.
I sat on a bench for what felt like a long time.
I wondered if I should try to catch up? no.
I started down the mountain & knew I had made the right decision. If walking up the mountain was a scary view... just think about how scared I was walking down- it was a much more vivid view of DOWNness. I clung next to the mountain wall as I shuffled down. As people came near me I tried to appear normal & sane & not to breath too heavy. Someone asked me if I liked the cave?- they must have assumed- I made it & was on my way down.
"oh ya- it's great." I kept slithering down & met a park ranger. He told me- (in between asking me if I was okay) that cave made him claustrophobic... so his favorite thing to do was to walk the trail- ya I made the right choice. What was I thinking? I am so claustrophobic- SERIOUSLy what was I thinking? I guess I was thinking there would be railings & a big huge cave room that you would walk into, look around & leave. Nope.
I kept telling myself- I'm good at lots of things... really I am. I'm not an idiot, no, not at all.
It wasn't my best day.

here are some of the photos from the cave.









THEY made it!
They loved it!
After leaving the cave Trent signed the book- therefore ensuring he earned the patch.
It was beautiful, tight at times & so cool inside!
The breathtaking view on the way back down.

they even saw a baby squirrel.
Awe, nature...
it's a glorious thing.
Trent will be receiving the Utah National Monument Patch at the next pack meeting.
I will not be returning with the other Bear scouts, or ever for that matter. I did calm down before they made it down a couple of hours later. Luckily the snack bar had diet pepsi - that'll do in an emergency- I brought a book. It took about an hour, but I calmed down & was so happy to see them when they got back about 2 1/2 hours later.
We were all exhausted.
I learned a lot about myself this day.
Some things are good to know.
I mean about myself.
So- you know- I don't do that kind of thing... again. EVer....

11 comments:

Beth said...

Georgous pictures!
I am so sorry about your experience, but it is good to learn those things about yourself. I can totally relate, I am the same way!

Janae said...

Oh Patsy~ i'm sorry this was bad! i'm so excited that Trent earned the badge though:) that's great.
i remember hiking mt. timp as a kid and thinking it was great...i am afraid now what it would be like as an adult. Little children running near cliffs sounds like fingernails on the chalkboard to me!
some great photos though:)

Jill said...

Oh my goodness, it was scary just reading about your experience, I could totally feel the anxiety involved.

Your labels for this post are quite amusing.

wende said...

i can most definitely relate to your anxiety. i wouldn't have as a little kid, but now as an adult, yikes. NO THANKS! i am with you that little people near edge of cliffs is SO WRONG, i would've been freaking out. bad. i'm so glad that you told yourself that you're good at other things, because, YOU ARE!

and p.s. i loved the photos of the "danger" signs. ya, what is that about? are they TRYING to scare the mothers away? sheesh!

michelle said...

Oh, Patsy. I can relate to this post so very much. My dad used to take us hiking as kids, and I can vividly remember -- even at age 12 -- having panic attacks over my younger siblings getting too near the edge. It hasn't gotten easier with time!

Marc took our boys on this hike last summer when some outdoorsy friends were visiting (we're so not that way!). They did not know what they were getting into and were so surprised by how steep the hike was and how many switchbacks, etc.

Then Lucas went to Timp. Cave on a school field trip. The stories he told me afterwards had me FREAKING OUT! Like, the adult supervisor for their group was way ahead of them so they were on their own. And they thought a member of their group fell off the cliff because they lost him for a long time! YIkes, Yikes, YIKES!

I don't blame you one bit for turning around and going back down. I'm impressed you were able to let your kids continue on!

Rachel said...

Wow, just reading about your experience made me dizzy!

I used to go on dates with my older brother when I was a kid (I think my parents made him take me, because he wouldn't do anything dumb with his kid sister tagging along, an involuntary chaperone, I guess) and this was one of them. I loved learning about the caves but hated the dark and tight spaces. I didn't realize at the time I was also in danger of careening to my death! Yikes!

shannon said...

What a trooper you were! What we mothers do for our kids!

The pictures of the cave were really neat...

Several years ago (pre-kids) a couple of friends and I hiked to the top (well, almost) of Mt. Timpanogas...

We almost didn't make it down before it got dark (scary stuff!)

We thought we saw an abomidable snowman at one point but it ended up being some silly mountain goat.

While peeing on one of the cliffs, my bare bottom was met by some fellow hikers (sorry folks!)

I found out that mountain water, although cool and crisp going down, is not so delicious coming out several hours later! (giardia!)
So much for our plans of making a business out of bottling it up!

I never craved a steak more than after that day!

Hope you have recovered...

Karolynn said...

I can totally relate! I just do mini hikes now (from the tent to the bathroom. We did a little hike at Payson and it is all I can handle. I almost made it to the waterfall when I had a code brown "diaherra" oh mercy, no bathrooms. I made it back to the trailer just in the nick of time.

jakenapril said...

dang, girl! i feel the same way...about living in utah and not having done many of the things that it has to offer. good for you, though...halfway is better than not at all! and you are not a wimp, no, not at all.
hope you were able to put your fears at ease when you got off the mountain. good job, patsy!

Johnna said...

I personally believe that mountains are to be looked at and not climbed. I am glad you all made it safely.

Karrie said...

WTH...I want to do this hike with the kids too...you are now officially in training to attempt this again....you must overcome the anxiety...start walking up my hill to visit me as part 1 of your training...once this is complete we will have to try it again!