Wednesday, July 1, 2009

anticipation

I'm not proud to say...
there are two things I have been dreading all spring & all summer.
They were both accomplished yesterday & today-
and ya- the anticipation- was much, much worse than the actual task!
First: was painting the deck.
Jack did most of the work.
Hailey, Chloe & Trent helped (really helped a lot)
& half way through I escaped into the laundry/sewing room to work on a project.
I am such a heat wimp.
Trent kept saying, "this is so great- us all painting together."
I knew I had to go inside when I was getting overly crabby hearing him say that.
Heat, the wrong paint (it worked out, but still I bought the wrong stuff at $30 a gallon),
teenagers, dogs who couldn't go outside...

It wasn't that bad for me- more for jack- but still. I hate/love this deck.


Second: Cub Scout Day Camp.
Oh boy.
I have tried really hard to be a good sport about cub scouting.
But--- day camp.
oh man, oh my goodness
Anticipation of the 7:30 AM leave time
just about put me over the edge.
You won't believe it- It really wasn't that bad!
I have successfully gotten out of going (I don't know how?)
for years- Frankly- it was my turn.
I can't believe I didn't go before- it was fun- seriously.

We went to Camp Frontier which was lead by a bunch

of great kids.

We learned about the gold rush, panned for gold (even got some ;), learned about endangered species, made Indian headbands with feathers, tied knots, played games, ate lunch, sang songs, watched some painful skits- the boys laughed their heads off, we learned flag etiquette, shot BB guns, ran an obstacle course--- on & on.
I just watched
How bad is that?
I have been anticipating these things for so long, making it worse than it really was. Now it's over & hey- not too shabby! Do you ever do this, anticipate something so much that you make yourself miserable? Unfortunately- I do it all the time.

9 comments:

Kristy said...

You went to the same camp my ward went to....fun times!!!!!

Do your kids hire out we need to paint our deck too and I am dreading it!!!!

Janae said...

yes, i do the dreading thing...i wish i didn't but, do!
I am glad scout camp had some fun in it:)

John and Misty said...

Yes, I dread making dinner every night, and many other weird things I don't have room to list... Good for you--2 things in 2 days! Sweet!

Jill said...

I seem to have to learn this lesson over and over and over again, yet am pleasantly surprised whenever something I've been dreading turns out to be easier or more pleasant than I thought possible. I so want to be able to go with the flow more and enjoy every experience.

michelle said...

I am the queen of dread. Pretty much nothing turns out to be as bad as I anticipate! Glad you got those two things out of the way.

She Loves To Make said...

I do thee same thing. I make things way worse in my mind. That phrase Trent kept saying during painting is too funny.

wende said...

the only thing i would say was worse than the anticipation: labor. ya, pretty much, no birth prep class could've prepared me for that man!

but yes, i do dread stuff, and then, what the heck, it's no big deal. why do we do this? i'm so glad you got these things done, now you can just enjoy your gorgeous deck! :)

Holly said...

I always over think things and dwell--making things seem much harder/bigger than they turn out--still haven't learned.

I really like that picture of Trent and Jack together.

Good job on your deck--that's a BIG job!

shannon said...

Kudos to you for getting your deck painted...I've been going through similar projects in preparation for house guests that we're getting soon...that has been the only thing that could motivate me to get some of these projects done that I've been putting off for so long....

Heat and I don't do well together, either!

I just flat out didn't sign Jake up for scout camp this year...I couldn't deal with it...