Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 3rd

We have the most fun for the fourth of July here in our town.
The celebration starts on the third with a children's parade, concert in the park & fireworks. It's my favorite two days of the year!

We take a traditional meal of-
Albertson's fried chicken (my favorite),
shrimp pasta salad,
watermelon &
cupcakes, of course...

WE only eat this meal once a year- so it means a lot to the kids? I don't know why, but we never eat this salad or fried chicken except for on the 3rd. The kids were so excited about the salad.. who knew?

This year - second year in a row-- we had my sister Johnna & her family with us from WA state!

we wish this would become a tradition, it was so fun to have them here.

Next year-
Jack will most likely be gone on a mission, so this was his last year at the park for a while... someday I hope we are all here together again. It would mean the world to me. But, for now- I'm just happy my children are all doing so well, wherever they are!

Trent is currently obsessed with Transformers.
The cartoon & ya- I broke down & let him watch the first Transformer movie.
It's rated PG 13... so as family arrived at our house before the festivities he would announce- "I'm watching a violent movie!!" with excitement. He will NOT be watching the second one currently in theatres- pretty much ever, if I have my way, which I won't.

So- he came along to the park with Optimus Prime in hand- fun- not & the movie with my laptop. This was the second year he hasn't gotten lost & the first year he has not been difficult, so apparently "violent movies" are good for something.

Brittany & Marcus were with us!
They will be married in less than a week- amazing.
Marcus has been with us for the fourth of July for years & it is just more special when he is here. It just feels right.
The band this year, The BEAch ToYs were fantastic!
I will admit I was a little worried when I saw their name...
but seriously the were GREAT!!
-We loved them-

They even look like the beach boys-

It was so fun to be together.
I sure love these girls.
They have been an absolute joy this summer.
They helped me to get ready for company & with dinner, and with Trent- they are awesome.
They are leaving soon for a week with Megan in Arkansas...
I don't know what I will do without them!??

Miraculously the Beach Toys turn into the Monkeys part way through the show, really great stuff here. They really sounded like them & hey- look like them too!

We sat near great friends at the park & here is Cassidy enjoying a cupcake-
I think she is my biggest cupcake fan here.
We even talked to Joy- from Joy's of Home- yep, she only lives a block from me... wow knowing a cool blogger like her is better than knowing a celebrity!
do you read her? she is amazing!
These pictures are especially for Megan & the missionary.

Jack & one of his best friends Zach.
They are going to be college roommates soon.
Cool beans man.

Soon after the Monkeys preformed--
they morphed into
The Beattles
Their best band yet!
Trent found a little friend who wandered over to see what he was watching.

Is she darling or what?
He offered her one of his head phones... so cute.
At least he's nice, I mean- for someone who watches violence??

The fireworks & patriotic music was oh so wonderful....
I have been trying for hours to upload video with this post - with no success.
Maybe later I will try it again?
It was a great day!
MOre on the fourth to come.

12 comments:

Kristy said...

Looks like loads of fun!!!! We could hear the band from my house, they sounded pretty good!

Marie said...

Happy 4th of July!! (just a little passed)

michelle said...

I love this post! You and Brett are so darling.

What a crowd you had! I love that the kids were excited about the salad and you had no idea. I love Trent's announcement about watching a violent movie. I love your tradition, we have no such tradition around here.

She Loves To Make said...

Your third looked like so much fun! I loved all the pictures! Last year I made that shrimp pasta, but forgot to half the recipe so I pretty much ate that for two weeks straight. haha I didn't make it this year but I did make cute cupcakes because I figured you would be doing the same! I'm hoping next year we'll be in Centerville!

Gail said...

I hate that we missed it this year. We are not I repeat NOT going to Bear Lake for the 4th ever again.

Rachel said...

Looks like a great time! Thanks for sharing that blogger, too, her gardens are inspiring!

Beth said...

Great pictures of everyone... I especially love the one of Johnna and Clyde, it turned out really cute.

Jack is really really getting tall!

I miss you guys sooooo much!

Jill said...

This looks like so much fun! No wonder these are your favorite 2 days of the year.

It appears that Jack is cooperating a bit in these pictures eh? Has he figured out that he looks handsome when he does? It took me years to figure that out!

Hooray for the first year that Trent wasn't difficult!!!

Karrie said...

We could hear the band 2 blocks away at Kristy's house...they sounded so great...I'm glad Trent was happy with his violent movie...that is so funny!

Kim Sue said...

what wonderful 3rd & 4th celebrations! it looks like perfect good ole American {family} fun!

Johnna said...

We had so much fun. It is truly the best place to be to celebrate the freedom we enjoy here in the greatest nation on earth! We would love to make it a tradition as well! Thank you for making us feel so welcome.

shannon said...

Wow...you guys really do it up! I'm tempted to join you next year!

Good times!...