Friday, November 21, 2008

she & me

She is one of the first people I met when I moved to my town.
She brought us cupcakes.
I remember thinking- we'll probably be friends.
Jack & her oldest were inseparable.
Hailey & her 3rd too.
We were all friends.
Our young families lighted fireworks on the 4th of July.
Planned birthday parties.
Went to kindergarten together.
Worked in the primary presidency.
Talked on the phone.
Had late nights with the kids.
Drove carpools.
Went to "girl's night out" one Thursday a month.
Spent at least one day a week & usually more at the water park watching the kids play-
two maybe three summers in a row.
She kept my kids overnight when Trent was born,
then took Trent to her house when he was two months old.
I was doped up on pain killers dealing with kidney stones.
When she came to check on me I was drooling. Thanks- again.
We haven't talked much since we moved 7 years ago this month to our home now, (she brought us dinner) except for me to send birthday cards, Christmas cards & a note to say-
I'm so sorry.
Her sweet husband was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer two days before school got out last spring.
He died this past Sunday morning- the week before Thanksgiving, only 5 weeks until Christmas.
Their 4 children - almost the same age as mine.
He- the same age as Brett. She- younger than me...
It just doesn't seem right I am going to his funeral today.
Everyone knows he was an amazing man, husband, father...
My heart is breaking for you.
I am so sorry for your loss.

12 comments:

Janae said...

What great memories you have of your friendship together. Her family is in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

These are such good memories, I am so sorry for their loss and yours. It always gets to me when a parent of young children dies. So sorry.

Johnna said...

I am sorry to hear of his passing. It is hard to lose good friends.

Love you,

Karrie said...

I'm so sad hearing this too...I'm keeping them in my prayers too.

Kristy said...

So sad especially for the kids they are too young to be without their Dad. My thoughts and prayers are with them too.

PaD said...

Sorry for your friends loss Patsy. That is hard. So sad for the little family. May God be with them is my prayer.

jakenapril said...

what a great post, patsy. my heart sank when wende told me the news of his diagnosis and then his passing. our prayers are with her and her sweet kids. i cannot imagine... reminds me how thankful i am for the gospel and dear friends and family.

Beth said...

I am sad to hear of their loss, may God be with them.

What beautiful memories for you to cherish.

Love you Sis!

Jill said...

I'm sad for that family. I hope the funeral was uplifting and not draining.

I love the way you wrote this post.

wende said...

this post is amazing patsy, what an awesome tribute. i keep thinking i need to post about him too but i just can't stop crying about it!

the funeral was so good, but one of the roughest i've ever been to. why he had to be taken so young, i'll never understand.

she is lucky to have a friend like you.

Amie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's family. I can't imagine and hope I never have to.... I am sure they are grateful for your support.

I LOVED this post... amazing how those lines can tell such a huge story.

michelle said...

That is heartbreaking, Patsy. I'm always so sad when young children are left without a parent.

Beautiful post.