Monday, November 10, 2008

family night woes

Tonight as part of family night- Brett & I asked the kids to write a Christmas list.
They could write as many items as wanted on the list- but were asked to put 1.2.3. next to their top favorites in order of preference.
What is wrong with me?
When will I ever learn?
Was I born yesterday?
Here is Trent & his list.
Yes you are reading it right- a cell phone sim card tops the list.
You see, there are plenty of old phones around here & he has long ago learned that he needs a working sim card to get one to work... SERENITY NOW!
We have been arguing with a nine year old for two years & the past several hours about why he cannot have a phone. What in the world? A simple NO will not work. Oh no... he is relentless. He says if he had a cell phone he could start his own business. ?
In fact- his own business is 5th on the list.
(I am rolling my eyes right now.)
Well how about a lemonade stand?
That won't work-it seems he wants to be the head of the company Brett works for.
2nd on the list is a DSLite. I asked him if he would really rather have a cell phone sim card than a Nintendo DSLite? His reply- YES I can just get a DS Lite Christmas 2009. What will you do with a cell phone? Text J-bizz (that's what he calls jack). Jack can't get texts during school. I can text him after school. After school he's home & so are you. Why don't you just go sit next to him & talk to him? I NEED to text him!

Jack's list
1. a Dog (somebody shoot me)
2. a gun (seriously...)
3. The BAck To The FUture movie. (?)

Hailey's List
1. a puppy, preferably a great dane (what the hell?)
2. I-tunes card (finally something reasonable)
3. A gift card to American Eagle

Chloe's List
1. pink slippers
2. bath & body works stuff
3. new comforters for her twin beds

It's going to be an interesting Christmas.
Do your kids make Christmas lists?

11 comments:

wende said...

this is SO entertaining! i am laughing out loud by myself in the office! trent is hillarious....
ok, so maybe you should've had them make a list of ten things so that YOU could choose which ones were YOUR top three priorities! :)

Jill said...

Trent is always amusing from where I sit!

I'm more concerned about Chloe's #1 item being slippers!

michelle said...

Oh, boy. You've gotta love Trent's reasoning, though. Hey, he's willing to put off a big-ticket item until Christmas 2009! The kid knows what he wants. He wants to text J-bizz.

The dog. A Great Dane? What the hell is right!

I'll bet you're really loving Chloe right about now.

Janae said...

Chloe's list is beautiful:)
I am sorry about the cell phone...At list there is some comedy relief in it all?
Hailey's 2 and 3 look reasonable...but, Hailey...remember your own place and the big mammoth dog then? ;)
Jack...I like number 3;)
This is too funny. I am with Michelle though, and a little confused on the pink slippers?...number one..??

Karrie said...

Why don't you just get everyone their number 1 thing and then the Great Dane would eat the cell phone and the pink slippers....and you could just start all over again.

I think Trent has done his homework on the cell phone thing and maybe he now deserves a pre paid phone...just a thought....I love that kid...I'm glad it you that has to tell him no about the phone.

Kristy said...

I am currently laughing out loud!!! I love the lists especially the dog.....right before I left Kyle was on the dog kick. He asked for a frog or a dog. I reminded him he recently killed his frog due to neglect! Kids!!!!!!

I would hate to see what my kids put down on their lists!!! Kyle's #1 and #2 would be the same as Jack's #1 and #2. Hang in there I am only laughing because I have similiar issues. My boys want a cell phone too but that is a no go!Good luck you will need it!!!

Unknown said...

i thought about doing a list with jack last night, and fear stopped me dead in my tracks. i'm going to postpone that activity for a while, and just savor the humor of the lists in your house!!

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

Hilarious... This helped get my day off to a good start:)

Beth said...

I vote for the Great Dane!!!

I love it!

Hugs for a Happy Christmas!!!
Good Luck!

Holly said...

Oh, won't this be an interesting Christmas?!? Funny stuff. Sorry that certain phone discussion was renewed--he seems quite determined. :)

Kim Sue said...

Oh, I know I am doing some serious backtracking but I missed some of these posts and this one cracks me up! I "work with" my 8 year old BEFORE we go to the grandparents for Thanksgiving because they always ask what she wants and she will yell out some crazy off the wall thing like a cell phone and then the gparents think we need to get it.