Tuesday, January 5, 2010

here we go again....

last night was family night.
The first family night of the year is always on GoALs-
but not this year....
Stress- Anxiety and Healthy Coping Skills
was the topic
Goals are on hold until next week.Teens are stressed- adults are stressed- apparently even kids are stressed these days. Dang- that's a lot of stress. Our family is certainly not the exception. We briefly discussed ways all kinds of people cope with stress, then listed healthy ways to cope with stress.
The boys ate cookies...
Brian stuffed one in his mouth- so Jack of course, couldn't be outdone--- and stuffed two.
I love this picture of the girls just watching them. My title for the photo-
"so this is what boys do?"

It was good timing- this family night lesson.
A new year, college, high school, jr. high, work, looking for jobs, play practice, homework, mission... there is a lot going on here! We are certainly not immune from feelings of stress, anxiety & depression. How to cope:
Reading scriptures & prayer
Being around people & not "holing up alone"
Exercise
Self pep talks- positive thoughts
service to others
laughing at yourself & having a sense of humor
relaxation exercises
memorize for times of stress- hymns, primary songs, scriptures
having daily- weekly- monthly- yearly things to look forward to
and setting realistic goals

It's a lot of options not a list of things to do...

just before family night trent & the neighbor kid were playing legos in the family room
trent: mom, can friend stay for dinner?
mom: no we are having a special family night.
trent: darn!
trent to friend: do you have family night tonight?
friend: we almost never have family night.
trent: lucky!

Today Brian & I went shopping & packed up a final load of stuff.
Stuff to take to his new apartment.
-dang-
he took some stuff down yesterday
but school starts tomorrow... he had to go.
It was weird.

Like-
shoot, he's not leaving again is he?
cause, ya- I can't take that...

so...
he's all filled up
food
gas
new sheets
notebooks, pens, paper, cell phone....
more food
class schedule.
~sigh~
Ya it's a good thing we had that lesson last night.

13 comments:

She Loves To Make said...

That's a great fhe topic to have--a great reminder for the new year.
I love that conversation of Trent and his friend! So funny!
That picture of just Brian is so cute. I can't believe he's going to college! Time really flies!

Karolynn said...

Sounds like a perfect family night! You have such an amazing family!

Karrie said...

What are the coping skills you are using for Brian going to school? I would pick Chocolate!!!!

He's coming home to do laundry you know it...and of course get home cooked food too.

michelle said...

I can't believe he's leaving already! Sounds like you chose the ideal topic for FHE...

wende said...

that is weird, brian leaving again! he just got here! at least he's only in provo and not chile, that's a little more doable. plus, you can call him, and like karrie said, you know he'll be home for laundry and food. so, ok, deep breath. but StILL!

that photo of the girls watching the boys is so funny, i love your darling girls. your whole darling family actually, even the cookie stuffing boys.

Kim Sue said...

Wow you have big things happening at your house.

Holly said...

I'm probably not qualified to comment on coping skills since I stuff cookies, etc. into my mouth when I'm stressed (or any other time too)--but I think it's cool y'all talked about dealing w/it.

Beth said...

I love that you listed the coping skills... and that you clarified it wasn't a to do list; because at first I was like "oh cool, I need to be doing better at that, it might help me with my stress", then the more I read, the more stressed I got because I was falling so short! Those are great options and places to start!

Great FHE!!

No crying, I can't even deal, if you start, I will be flooding too! NO CRYING girl!!

I love you!!!!!!

jakenapril said...

oh, life in a house with teenage boys. i'll try to imagine...and then realize that in about 10 years i'll have some of my own. maybe you should write a book with some advice or helpful hints of how to survive?!?

thanks so much for your bliggety blog. love it.

Jill said...

Good idea for a Family Home Evening lesson, I hope they were all listening.

Amanda :-) said...

I'm glad you highlighted that those strategies are an array of options and not a complete list of things to do. Too right!

And I agree with you on that picture of the girls. It paints a thousand words! :-D

John and Misty said...

You compiled a great list of coping skills. I should refer back often!

Maggie said...

This is such a great post!!! You have such a beautiful family and I love that you do family night :)

Thanks for the sweet comment and for stopping by Smashed Peas and Carrots too.

Mags