Friday, January 22, 2010

science fair.... FINALLY!

Today was the big Elementary School Science Fair!
Trent has always wanted to participate in the science fair- since kindergarten!
I'm what you call... "science challenged." Well, that is in the areas he wants to go. I know, I know I should try, it's something he is interested in, etc. Honestly, I am trying but there is something you need to know about trent & aspergers... he has no limitations to what he thinks he can do. this is a great gift & challenge at the same time. Last year the science fair was optional for 3rd graders- Trent came home & announced he was going to build an airplane & fly inside it- around the school. I had to put a stop to that- I hate crushing a kid's dreams - but realistically people?
Thank HEAVENS- trent got the best ever fourth grade teacher who actually is a food scientist. She went back to school to be a teacher so that she could teach kids to love science. It has been such a huge blessing in his life which equals a huge blessing in our lives too.
I talked to her early in the year about many things but especially his love for science and thoughts of doing something crazy impossible for the science fair. She loved it! She directed him into a project that was perfect for him & he has been successful.
Parents were allowed to visit the fair after the judging approximately 11:30. Around 11:45 we got a phone call from the school secretary- trent was pacing the halls waiting for us. We should have been more specific with him that we would be there sometime- not necessarily 11:30 sharp- aspergers is so literal.

that's brett & I in the back talking with the teacher.
photo by trent

The best part of all was Jack is home. He came over too- this is the same classroom Jack presented his 4th grade science fair project in- Trent was over the top thrilled to show Jack everything, introduce him to his teacher & invite jack to stay for lunch.

Even though he didn't eat school lunch- he stayed. What a great big brother.

So- I never thought I would be saying this... but HOORAY FOR THE SCIENCE FAIR.

7 comments:

wende said...

yay for mrs.d and her love of science and making trent successful! his project was such a fun idea.

and really, jack rocks, coolest big brother ever. i hope my boys are taking notes for when ethan is older. but i can't blame him too much for not eating school lunch. :)

She Loves To Make said...

His poster looks awesome! That was such a great project for Trent. Jack really is such a cool big brother. I bet Trent just loved having him there.

John and Misty said...

Hooray for Trent, teacher, and Mom! It looks like he worked hard on it. That is awesome! Would he be willing to bring his display to Pack Meeting in March? (It goes perfectly with the theme...)

Holly said...

That's fantastic that Trent has a teacher with a science background--to share her love of it and make it real for the kids.

Great work Trent!

The airplane idea cracked me up!

Love the picture of Trent and Jack together too.

Jill said...

Woohoo, I'm glad this ended up going so well! It's so great that Jack was able to be there, what a cool thing for Trent!

michelle said...

Yeah, I can't imagine myself being excited about the science fair. But I can see how it was amazing for Trent! A good teacher can have such a huge impact on a child, and his whole family! Trent must have felt pretty important to have his big brother there, too.

Karrie said...

If anyone is going to build their own cardboard plane and fly around in it at the science fair...it will be Tent! I just love that kid.