Monday, August 31, 2009

the eagle has landed

Yesterday afternoon the college boy came home-
he brought a load of laundry & squeezed into his scout shirt.
Even though jack finished his Eagle months ago
he wanted to wait for Seth to finish up for the formalities.Our Bishop, a former scout dog handler in Vietnam spoke on patriotism.
It was so inspirational.
Brett spoke on the "Eagle Trail" he was these boy's
scout leader for most of their scouting experience.

Then the official Scout law & oath & all-

Jack has grown just a bit since we bought his scout shirt 6 YEARS AGO! I am too cheap to buy a new one. (bad mom) Hey- he should have had this done years ago. I told him to suck in & make it work, dude. We're broke with college expense & these shirts run $40, seriously...? Not to mention I was sewing the patches onto his bandilo frantically two minutes before show time. No excuses, I had time to do it but spent it making the cutest baby booties for the grand baby & totally forgot about the patches. (oops- again no mom points there- but jack didn't care)

the mother's pin

The father's pin

the eagle's nest

Becoming an Eagle Scout is no little accomplishment. Seriously these boys have worked hard for years to be celebrated today. I love scouting. Especially after seeing the end results. Only 10% of boys who start out in scouting earn the coveted Eagle Scout. It's impressive & fabulous to have two Eagle Scout sons. They have their dad to thank for being there every step of the way.
Jack & both of his proud Grandfathers.

Brett's parents are here & my dad flew up for the day to be here.
It was wonderful to have them here- we missed you mom.
Jack & Seth

Grandma & Grandpa

We came home & celebrated with a special family dinner for the teenager.

Lemon cream cake with all her Utah cousins & grandparents...
and not too many photos. All the cooking etc. got to me I guess.
It was a great day.

10 comments:

PaD said...

Great photo's Patz. I just sat around and did nothing yesterday and today was a bad morning so I'm glad I didn't make the trip. My lungs are better.

I'm so happy for Jack. Chloe is growing up so fast. Hopefully we'll get up before long.

Unknown said...

way to go, Eagle Scout!! is it crazy to think that day will be here too soon for trent? (i think about my Jack and how proud i will be.)

and way to go, mom and dad for supporting your sons in Scouting! i know it can be challenging, and expensive!! i got a good chuckle from the little shirt :)

Kristy said...

Way to go Jack!!!! You should be very proud!! That was neat that he got to have both of his grandpa's there to help celebrate!

I hope the eagle lands at our house in the next few years so we can get it out of the way!

I don't blame you for not wanting to buy a new scout shirt....they are a ton of money! I am suppose to have on for a meeting in a few weeks but I am going to wear Kyle's because I am too CHEAP!

Holly said...

What a great accomplishment! I love to see older boys and girls stick with scouts and see it through. Very cool!

I don't think it was a bad mom moment at all (not buying a new shirt), but it was wise. $40.00 is a lot for one time wearing.

Janae said...

Congrats to Jack! Such a huge accomplishment! I still remember my mom working with all three of my brothers until every brother had their Eagle:)
Happy B-day Chloe...Good celebrations!

Jill said...

Wow, congratulations to Jack and to you and Brett for the Eagle Scout accomplishment!

Landon just moved up to 11 year old scouts so now we have to find the money to buy him a freakin shirt! Last night was our first Court of Honor and he was the only one still wearing a blue scout shirt! I need to fix my attitude, but I hate paying for scout stuff.

wende said...

scout stuff is a rip off! and i LOVED seeing jack in the tiny shirt, it made me smile big!

good job for jack - and dad - for sticking with it. i'm not sure the eagle will land at our house or not, if not, i'm still a good mom right? just lie to me...

michelle said...

Too funny to see Jack in his too-small shirt -- I would have done the same thing. Make it work, dude! That made me laugh.

We are working towards the Eagle, but man it is a lot of work...

Marie said...

Way to go Jack!!

Beth said...

We are so happy for Jack, looks like a great court of honor celebration! So neat both his Grandpa's could be with him.

I don't know where I missed this post... I got to thinking there were some big moments this past week and I never saw the posts for them... so I am going backwards to catch up.

Hugs,