Saturday, August 2, 2008

big goings on

It's been a couple of exciting days for the kids around here.
Yesterday & today Trent went to cub scout day camp.
This year's theme: superhero academy. wow did he have fun! Having him come home, completely covered in dirt & swinging a whip- yes a whip- brought back so many memories. Brian & Jack went to cub scout day camp. They came home so dirty you'd swear there wasn't a bit of dirt left in the camp, & both had whips. They sell Indiana Jones type whips for $2 at the trading post. Jack tells me I "never let him get one" that after Brian bought one I banned them from the house- sound reasonable. Trent took his outside last night to show the 3 sweet little girls that live across the street how he can whip it around. I watched from the front window giggling. They didn't look all that impressed & luckily he didn't kill himself or one of them. Later that night after getting all cleaned up- he ran through the sprinklers with it. All the paint or whatever was on it- rubbed off after getting wet. Trent was black from head to toe. It looked like he was covered in shoe polish or grease! Cheap piece of junk. I was going to accidentally "lose" it last night but jack insisted I just let it dry out. boys?

While Trent was away Chloe & I did this :)
Chloe has been waiting ALL her life for toe shoes & yesterday was the day!!

She is absolutely over the moon for them & so excited for ballet to start next week.

I had no idea how much work & how long it takes to find the right pair of toe shoes. It's a complicated process- me not being a dancer- was so impressed with all the knowledge & help we got from the manager at the store. She was great & so excited for chloe.
Here they are- the pair that are just right. Can you see the excitement in her eyes? The fitting lady said she had the perfect feet for ballet- she used a bunch of technical dancing words to describe her feet but I don't remember them. Who cares about starting jr. high when you are finally getting to dance on real pointe shoes!? Which by the way were hand sewn in Russia- she wanted me to mention that. As we were checking out I let chloe pick a ballet shoe key ring for her backpack. I asked the clerk how much they cost- there wasn't a price tag. The manager piped in & said- free to girls getting their first pair of toe shoes! Considering how much $$ I spent there- that was good business- and very nice.

This morning- Hailey & I headed off for Costco bright & early for the opening. We went to get Hailey's copy of --BREAKING DAWN--

Hailey has been waiting since last summer- checking & reading up on Stephanie Meyer's website everyday- for this book. What a thrill to pick it up today. She went to a lady in our congregation's house that she bbsits for every week for to read it this afternoon. She was having a reading party & invited hailey, being the only teenager she was very honored & thrilled to go.

Did I mention that today Brett went with all the cubs as a chaperone to cub scout camp?

Poor guy- he said it was fun to see the boys having fun & that trent was good- but if he had to get up & go again tomorrow- he just couldn't have faced getting out of bed. It sounds like it was exactly as I imagined. What a good dad.

*have you ever been to cub scout day camp?

*can you believe they sell whips to eight year olds, even if they are cheap pieces of junk?

*did you dance when you were young?

*are you a stephanie meyers fan?

10 comments:

Kristy said...

The whips at cub camp are evil!!!! I wanted to burn them all after all the boys I took bought one. Cub camp was not my favorite thing to do. One day is plenty for a person to have to endure.

Yeah for Chole.....I am so excited for her!!

I am trying to get everything done so I can start reading Breaking Dawn.....I have my whole evening dedicated to it after I finish my sharing time. Emily has a date so I get the book!!!

Poor Brett.....I can sympathize!!!

Beth said...

Brett is such a good sport, that is indeed hard work keeping up with those boys at day camp all day! No wonder he was "whipped"! he he he

I am so proud of Chloe and her feet!! She looks so sweet in her new slippers! Love them!

Kim Sue said...

wow, toe shoes that's huge isn't it? I'm not a dancer either but it seems like a big milestone to me!

Janae said...

Congrats to Trent on the whip!#$%!@#
And, sympathies to you;) it sounds like he had a blast though and yeah for Brett for spending his day with the cubs.

Congratulations Chloe!! That is so awesome. I am so excited for her just seeing the cute pictures! This is a definite milestone. And, the free key chain...nice bonus, very good business practice.

I hope Hailey is enjoying the book...I want to know the ending...just don't want to read the whole book;)

Amie said...

Unfortunately I have been to scout camp and I was SHOCKED at the trading post to see what they were selling to the boys. Of course, it was by far the boys favorite part of the day.

I love toe shoes.... not that I ever got to wear them... but, you know. I love the nice manager.... I wish all businesses were like that.

wende said...

so i'm about half way through breaking dawn and becoming increasingly irritated with the direction it's heading! i'll keep at it though...good luck hailey, you probably already have it finished!

allie was so sad yesterday at dance registration when she found out that she wouldn't need toe shoes (for her new pointe class) until january! something about these ballet girls and earning their toe shoes. i have a feeling they won't be as excited to lose their freshly painted toenails once they start!

and what's with those whips? man, i should've thought of this, both of my boys, kristy's boys and yours, i would be a millionaire. i'm sure it wasn't a mother who thought of them though - that's hillarious about the black paint coming off all over trent. boys boys boys.

i survived webelos days camp last year when i was the leader. luckily this year i was headed to girls camp instead. no whips there! :)

Jill said...

Fortunately I have never had to go to Scout Day Camp! I know the boys love it, but I just don't think I would.

I CANNOT believe they sell whips to young boy scouts, that seems like an accident waiting to happen!

I'm so excited for Chloe! Wow, wow, wow. I love the look of toe shoes. I danced all growing up, but didn't love ballet as much as everything else so I never made it to toe shoes.

I haven't read any of the Stephanie Meyers books, I just can't do it. But I think the excitement over them is cute and am glad Hailey got the latest installment.

Karrie said...

Wow I hat scout camp and had to do my sentence there for a day several years ago and still it burns in my mind...I do remember the whips too...totally stupid...what on earth.

I did not dance...but I so want my Riley to she just has the body of a ballerina...I need to decide where to put her for dance...any suggestions. I loved chole's photos of her toe shoes...she just screams the Nutcracker or Swan Lake!

I haven't gotten that far yet in Breaking Dawn I have to wait for Mariah to finish before my turn...I just get little quick reads here and there.

Stacie said...

How exciting for Chloe! I am excited Maddie wants to get back into dance! Chloe is so talented and dedicated for working hard and getting to this point(e)! ;)

I am also about half way through Breaking Dawn! Who would have thought that vampires and werewolves make such a great story line and suck you in deeper and deeper till you forget your real job (being a mom) and read all day! :) I am just glad to get back reading again!

michelle said...

I am so excited for Chloe! Going en pointe is no doubt the most exciting thing that's happened to her so far! I danced as a girl and then we moved before I got my toe shoes. Never found another dance teacher. I was SO sad. The pictures you took of her trying them on are so sweet.

I have gone to Cub Scout day camp. Have I mentioned how much I hated being a Cub Scouts leader?? I didn't know about the whips though. What in the world are they thinking?!