Saturday, September 8, 2007

Saturday

Well, it's Saturday & you know what that means...
after karate, Trent went to work with Grant the remodeling neighbor.
It's a little hard to tell in this picture but, Trent is sporting his new tool belt from Home Depot. It's black so it blends in with his shorts. Brett finally caved in & bought him his own. He is so proud of it & wears it every chance he gets.
Today in the car on the way to pick up Chloe from Nutcracker tryouts Trent asked me how long a year was. I said, a really really long time. In a year you will be a third grader. His eyes got wide. That's how long Grant the remodeling neighbor said his project should take.
It's a good thing I wasn't driving. Brett is considering filing a grievance with the city. Surely there is some code that could make him get the project done this month?! Oh well, Trent is loving it.

Speaking of Nutcracker tryouts.
Here is Chloe coming out threw the crowd. She has made the cut every year for the past three years. The first year she was a cupcake, next a cookie & last year she was an angel. She wore 50 curlers in her hair every night & all day for more than a week (that's when her hair was super long). She was gorgeous & the perfect angel.
Like every year we talked all week of how there are good things about making it & good things about not. Fifty percent of the girls who try out are cut so we went into this knowing it was tough competition & hey~ she has had her chance three times over. But, you know this girl LOVES ballet. Well, it truly never occurred to me that she might not make it this year. I was the idiot with the camera. I was trying to get her first expression- she is crushed. I wasn't going to post the picture, I wasn't going to mention it too much. Then, I remembered... there are so many great things to be learned~ when you don't make it. It's just so darn tough. The whole way home I was trying to be strong, fighting back the tears, seeing her do the same. I had to be the good example. It's okay to cry I told her~ you're disappointed. She said, "It's not the not making it~ it's being told I didn't make it." Ain't that the truth.
She's got a good attitude. Two out of the three carpool girls didn't make it this year. We will go together & celebrate for the other!

Just for fun I took her to work with me tonight. I am so glad I did. We had a great time working together! She's such a FANTASTIC worker. For eleven- it's amazing how great she can get things done. We snuck in a couple of pictures when the wedding line was slow.

Here she is pouring sparkling apple juice.

This is Stephanie, Tiffany, & Jan. They are awesome to work with & so much fun.
Jan is the smartest gal around- not just because she told me she thought I looked 30 just before my 40Th birthday, either. Tiffany just moved into my neighborhood & is starting a blog soon- I can't wait. Stephanie is doing her student teaching at my kid's H.S. & drat I forgot to ask her about it tonight. They are so cute!

Here is Chloe & my self-portrait at the end of the night.
It was a beautiful wedding. The pictures don't do it justice.
We had a great time.
I am so glad Chloe could come & help. She is great- and a great dancer. For now, she is a "Strong Woman" - that's a long story for another time.
I am proud of her.


2 comments:

Beth said...

I shared Chloe's story with my boys at family night last night, and we had a lesson all about setting goals and striving to be better, no matter what it might mean.

Sometimes we have success that we measure, and sometimes we have success that is measured in other ways, that might feel like a real bummer to us at the time. But we are given those kinds of trials to strengthen us! And if we recognize that and can get through something else using that wisdom, then we have great success.

I am so proud of Chloe and how strong she had to be to get through the auditions and the let down, and still encourage and be happy for her friend that made it! That's HARD!!
But she is such a "Strong Women"... what great integrity she has shown.
It is awesome to see her grow! I want to be like her when I grow up :)

Jill said...

You definitely don't look 40!