Friday, September 21, 2007

A Big Part of My Life~ Volunteer Work

I love my volunteer work. It truly is a big part of my life. I am very aware that what I do would not be possible without such a supportive husband & children~ thanks guys!
A couple of years ago when I was the PTA president at my children's elementary school- I decided our school needed some service opportunities. So, I delegated really well, & left a few jobs for myself- one being a series of service projects throughout the year. (I had a committee helping me too.) They turned out so well that I have continued them for the past few years.
Today was a little pay day for me as I learned a little bit more when I visited the Ronald McDonald House on the way to a doctor's appointment downtown. Our school started collecting pop tabs for them that year & another mom always dropped them off. Well, she moved & I have been meaning to drop off last year's collection all summer. I was excited today because I had a doctor's appointment just near there so hey I thought I would stop by there first. This is a great service project. It doesn't cost any money, raises awareness, kids get it, etc., etc., and there are Ronald McDonald houses all over the country that could use this and other kinds of help. (just a little plug) Learn about collecting pop tabs for them here!
I am so inspired by this great place.
The volunteers at the desk gave me some additional brochures & stickers for the collections jars that are in all the classrooms. They acted like I was the greatest thing ever dropping off the tabs- it's so not a big deal- they were great & didn't mind me taking a few pictures.

I am so thankful our family has never needed to stay here.
I am proud to say our little school has donated almost 100,000 pop tabs in the last three years!
This was my view on the drive back home. I love my city. I stopped the car while no other cars were around and took this picture. I thought I was alone sticking my head out the window with my camera when I heard a voice say "do you want to be in the picture?" I guy parked on the side of the road was watching me.

I went straight to work after that with Brian the missionary in waiting & thought I would grab a picture of the -not sick him- while I had a chance. I walked in- there he was- he saw my camera- ran.
COWARD!

Here is us eating lunch. Picture by Linda!
I have two more service projects this year. Collecting winter coats/clothes for kids in our school district who need them & a Holiday food drive for the same kids. Like I said I love volunteering. I will post on how the other two projects go when we do them.


8 comments:

patsy said...

This is a horrible picture of Brian- he looks like such a goober. It may not last....

patsy said...

by the look of my picture my mother and i are having lunch at my mental institution during visiting hours... thanks mom. - brian (missionary in waiting)

patsy said...

oh! and by the look of the other picture i have a smokin' good backside... - brian (missionary in waiting)

Unknown said...

i love all of your service project ideas. that photo of the pop tabs was very impressive!

Unknown said...

i love all of your service project ideas. that photo of the pop tabs was very impressive!

Anonymous said...

I love you Patsy...You really are the greatest... I love reading your blog so I can stay more connected to you and know what goes on in your world...

Jill said...

You look way too young to have a daughter in college and a son going on a mission, you're freaking me out.

Beth said...

Great Service Projects PJ!

We took our Mai Maids to do service at our Ronald McDonald House, they cooked dinner for the residents there at the time... the cool thing was they could easily relate to them... a family in our Ward had just left there ~ they had to stay after their twins were born and had trouble, so Ronald took them in to help out so they could be close to the babies at the Childrens Hospital... it is a great place to tour too and learn all they do to help families.