Saturday, November 7, 2009

pow wow...

Today I got up early-
real early for a Saturday-
so that I could meet up with my fellow scout leaders & go to
pow wow.
Pow wow is a whole. day. long. cub scout training... all day- 8-3:00- saturday.
Did I mention it was all day on a Saturday?
We got there in time to go to the opening ceremony.
And-- get our pow wow books--
Pow wow books are unbelievably usual & worth every dime- $11.
They are full of ideas for the next year & more.
The scout leaders in my pack are amazing!
Really great & willing to work hard for the boys.
Our cubmaster just finished woodbadge training- can you believe that?
but...
Can I be honest here-
really honest?
Pow Wow is scary- like a different world.
A cub scout leader world.
Where grown men & women act like they are little boys.... silly skits & jokes that aren't funny- costumes, games-
it's good- really it's great for the boys-
I 100% believe it is fabulous for the boys--
the problem is there are no boys at Pow wow, just adults.
If the leaders could just dork it down a notch...?
I don't know- maybe that's not possible?
I learned all kinds of ways to teach my webelos.
How to make a bridge & catapult
science experiments & communication games....
Most of my classes were great & worth my time.


I'm glad I went.
Now I am working on my calendar for the next three months.
I have so much information in my head- it's overwhelming.
This job is harder than I thought it would be- but I'll get it.

Lucky for me- brett took me out for the night.
Window shopping & dinner
grown up style.
just what I needed

6 comments:

michelle said...

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I went to one Roundtable and just couldn't force myself to go back! It's another world entirely. And I am ever so impressed that you went to a whole day of training!

Kristy said...

You are such a good webelos leader!!!! That is dedication to spend your entire Saturday at Pow Wow! I know my leaders didn't make it!

The scouting world is a whole other world that cannot be explained. I use to go to dinners with Kelly and you don't get it unless you are there!

You ROCK!

Karrie said...

You definitely deserve kudos for going to this...me I think I'd rather have my fingernails pulled of one by one with a pair of pliers and then glued back on with super glue.

Jill said...

I love the term "dork it down a notch"!

wende said...

jill typed exactly what i was thinking - i'm going to start using this with the teenagers in my house, it seems appropriate.

seriously? those LAME skits and there's no kids?! that is dedication. you're going straight to the CK for sitting through that.

shannon said...

I'm currently studying to dork it down a knotch...

These posts about successful cubscout programs are eating away at me...ours is just getting more and more frustrating...I don't know how to light the fire under these people! I'm embarrassed to tell the people that work in the scout office which troop we're in...(the church doesn't have the best reputation for being on the ball with the cubscout program)

I'm tempted to pull Jake out and send him to another troop--but I keep thinking that it will get better...arrrrrhhhhggggg.....