Friday, November 13, 2009

book review: the tipping point

Last night my book club met & reviewed our latest selection
The Tipping Point by Malcom Gladwell
Let me first start off by saying-
1. I really love my book club
2. I have never considered myself a "reader."
3. I almost never see members of my book club- except for at book club.
4. Our book club- is a truly- a free to express your opinion place to be where I feel everyone contributes & no one person pushes their view too much. I like that.
5. Membership has been a stretch for me & a privilege.
I am reading now- not loads of books- come on if you read this blog you know I'm just a little busy most of the time- but still I am reading books I would never pick up on my own & loving it!
I found this book to be very interesting.
from the back cover:
"The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold- tips- and spreads like wildfire. Just as a single sick person can start an epidemic of the flu, so too can a small but precisely targeted push cause a fashion trend, the popularity of anew product , or a drop in the crime rate."
The Tipping Point made my mind stretch- brought up ideas I had never thought up before & others I instinctively thought were true already. There are some controversial subjects- nature vs. nurture- which is more "sticky" or affective- and others. Although I thought the main point of the book dragged on at times- it was a very interesting read. I read it on the way to & from Megan's house in the airplane- I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I were not in an isolated situation with nothing else to do? I do feel like I learned a lot from this book and it made me think... why do we buy into the things we do? Do we really want something... or is it just a marketing trend set up by those trying to sell us? Are my children truly influenced by family or is peer pressure taking over? Is the atmosphere of my home influencing our family for good?
All great questions.
I sincerely recommend The Tipping Point.
If you read it- or have read it- let me know what you think!
*do you belong to a book club?
*are you a reader?

6 comments:

Holly said...

Hooray for your reading! I wish I was in a book club--I guess I need to start one, huh?

I've heard about The Tipping Point, but haven't read it. It sounds really interesting.

shannon said...

I really enjoyed the Tipping Point as well...My husband actually recommended it...(and we rarely read the same books)...

I feel the same way about my bookclub....

Jill said...

My dad and my brother both loved and recommended this book, so I got it in audiobook form and will be listening to it soon.

I'm so glad you're in a book club that stretches you!

michelle said...

I've been curious about that book as well. Glad to know you found it thought-provoking.

I'm excited that you discovered you're a reader! And that you have a good book club where everyone is free to express themselves, and that pushes you to stretch.

I love my book club! I have read tons of things because of it that I never would have otherwise.

Marie said...

I am not in a book club. I think it would be fun. I love to read.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I loved the Tipping Point as well Patsy. Have you read "Blink", his new book yet?