Wednesday, November 18, 2009

nutcracker... year five- what's wrong with me?

Last night was Chloe's first dress rehearsal for the nutcracker.
She was Great!
But, oh boy-- I'm losing it.
Years past I have been so organized- right on track- know what I'm doing... but not this year. I had forgotten to call the other dancers & set up a carpool, didn't know what time she was to be on stage- heck- I just drove her up... and didn't know what we were supposed to be doing?

It's a good thing we ate something before we left!
The Arabians didn't really have time for dinner. We left home at 4:20 & didn't get back until 11:04.
Yikes!
Staging was running behind.
It was a long night but a lot of fun to see her in her element & loving it.

I was chaperoning- one parent has to sign up for two nights of chaperoning. I have chaperoned twice every year since chloe has been involved (except once when megan took my turn- thanks meg- I wish you were here!) but for some reason, I couldn't think of what I was supposed to do.


I will for sure sign up for the first night of rehearsals again. I think I have always been on the second night- the first night the girls get to sit in the audience & watch. It was fun to watch with Chloe. It has been so long since she has seen it- since she is always backstage- she was delighted to watch it & it was fun to see it together. I had forgotten that she hadn't seen it in so long!

{chloe & the other arabians waiting for dress rehearsal to start}

We sat in the front row for the rehearsal & it was so fun to watch the symphony warm up & get together just before they went below.

I took this photo of the sea of girls behind us just before the owner of the ballet company came to ask me very politely but with a lot of frustration to, "PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!" I replied... "stop doing what?"
TAKING FLASH PHOTOGRAPHS!!!
HOLY CRAP!?
how long have I been going to these? what is my problem?
I apologized & said I thought we weren't allowed after it started--- which is all true-- but I know deep down I wasn't supposed to do that? I am so off my game these days.
I'm brain dead I swear. There is just so much on my mind. I have so much to do before Brian gets home & I am all jumbled up in my head.
I was really embarrassed.
At intermission we headed down under to the dressing room to get ready. We shared a small, hot & sticky dressing room with the candy canes. Oh I love these candy cane costumes!

I asked them if I could photograph them just for fun.

Chaperoning Arabians was so easy... maybe- I might get fired. I figured they were old enough to take care of themselves more than years past. They know their way around... I let them check out & in on their own. I mean gee- they are 13-14 ish? I hope I don't get a phone call today, but wouldn't be surprised if I did. Again- I am really embarrassed.
Here's chloe all dressed up!

She is so modest & she was worried what her dad would think of this costume.
He's okay with it... but a little shocked that she is one of the big girls now.
when did that happen?
{Arabians 2009}
I am so happy Chloe is in the nutcracker again this year!
It is such a privilege & so much fun for her.
I am proud of you chloe--- thanks for not being embarrassed of me-- or at least not acting like you were. You are the best!

9 comments:

Brent and Ashley said...

Sophie can't wait to see the Nutcracker! And Chloe is such a beautiful young lady!!

wende said...

we cannot wait to see her on saturday! every year we have a ton of fun going to the nutcracker - it is a beautiful production.

chloe is darling!

Kristy said...

Great pictures even though you got into trouble!

What can I do to help you with all your preparations for Brian????

I am sad I am missing it this year just too much going on!

Linda said...

It's no wonder you're off your game a little bit, this is quite an eventful week for you!

Your Chloe is darling, and sounds like such a sweet girl!

She Loves To Make said...

Love the pictures. Chloe looks so graceful & grown up.
I'm going to really miss seeing the nutcracker this year!

Jill said...

I'm surprised you didn't take the director by the collar and scream "Brian is coming on Friday!!!!! I'm off my game, so sue me!!"

The striped ballet shoes are particularly cool!

It's so great that Chloe gets to be a part of something like this!

jakenapril said...

woo hoo! i'm glad too...and i can't wait to see the performance. makenna looks forward to it every year. love a fun family tradition.

oh, and try to keep it together tomorrow...what am i saying?!? shall i bring you some tissues? how many boxes? what an exciting day you will have. at. last!

crystal said...

What production is she in? I want to take my girls to see The Nutcracker this year & it would be fun to see Chloe.

And wow! GOOD LUCK for tomorrow (i guess it's technically toDAY.) Have a wonderful time welcoming your darling boy home :)

xoxo

michelle said...

I love that Chloe is so modest and was worried about her dad's reaction. Sweet.

So fun to see these behind-the-scenes shots! The costumes are great fun, I love the candy cane ones as well.

I don't think anyone could blame you for being a little off your game at that point...