Tuesday, October 14, 2008

unexpected breakdown

We are going on a little trip soon- trying to get ready- I stopped at a church distribution store (store that sells Mormon stuff like scriptures, pictures, etc.- remember I live in Utah.) Anyhow- I picked out the things I needed then headed to the check out counter. In came a set of missionaries. Hmm- today is October 14th- Brian's 11 month mark.
I started to cry.
I am totally fine, I don't know what came over me, I just kind of lost it. I was holding back the tears with all my might when one of the missionaries brought his purchases up to the counter next to mine. I asked where he was from- Southern California. Then through my tears told him that my son is in Chile. He said he understood the tears, he had just emailed his mom this morning. So I asked if I could pay for his purchases - like a blubbering idiot- I think I said something else too. He was kind of stunned & didn't know what to say. He told me his mom had written that she signed up at church to feed the missionaries dinner that week. I told him that living where I live there are so many people who want to feed the missionaries, we never get the chance & to consider my purchase as good as dinner.
Which brings me to my point- Have you had the chance to do some random act of kindness lately? Like something way our of the ordinary? I tell you what- nothing feels better. I am so glad I ran into them today. (even though I still can't stop crying??? what in the world?) It was just a great way to celebrate the missionaries 11th month out.
If you have- blog about it!! Or leave a comment here- I would love to hear.

12 comments:

Beth said...

Now I am crying too!

We actually are taking a wonderful opportunity to do a random act of kindness, and ours is for a missionary too.

One of my clients (who is not a member) little brothers is in our Stake and leaving for So-Cal on his mission Nov 5th. He has worked so hard and earned all his money for his supplies, clothes, and expenses to go... but his brother told me that he and his Mom, who is single, are both in financial crisis right now. So they are trying to get enough money together between now and November for gas to drive him to the MTC.

So Jim and I are going to scrape together a big enough donation for the missionary to pay for the gas to SLC and back if we can.

We are really excited to put it in a card and annonomously donate it to this awesome kid, who has worked so hard to do all the right things even in the face of huge diversity in his life!

Holly said...

ok. I feel guilty now. I must go do a random act of goodness. I shall report tomorrow :)
That was a very sweet thing of you to do for the missionaries! Was he like, "well ok, if you going to do that we will take two of these and three of that..." Just kidding!

She Loves To Make said...

Oh that is so sweet! I bet you made that missionaries day. He'll write his mom about what you did and she'll be thankful for you.

michelle said...

What a wonderful way to "celebrate" or deal with your missionary's anniversary! Just think how happy that missionary's mom will feel, knowing that another mother did something nice for her son. If everyone, everywhere, did nice things like that for the missionaries in their area, all mothers could breathe a deep sigh of relief!

Karolynn said...

I love how you purchased the missionary's stuff. I have done that before. Every time I see them I try to give money or buy them food, but I have been slacking lately. It makes me feel so good to help them. This post is a great reminder to me. Whitney's friend just got his mission call and she was able to witness him opening the envelope. She said it was the most spiritual experience she has ever had. When she described it to me I started to cry, right in the middle of Wally World (aka Wal-mart) of all places. Just a reminder to me that the work they are doing is what the Lord wants them to be doing and it is true. Your sons life will be blessed forever!

wende said...

amen to michelle's comment! mothers of missionaries around the world can breath better knowing that there are sweet moms out there baking cakes and sending emails on their birthdays, feeding them dinner and showing them random acts of kindness! you are gift! and a gem! love you patsy girl!

Janae said...

A perfect way to celebrate Brian's 11th month! It reminds me of "pay it forward"...I LOVE that movie. If we all would just remember to help out here and there it does touch so many!

Karrie said...

Hey you are know deserving of some "good karma". What a great example...I too must search out an opportunity for a random act of kindness.

Jill said...

You're such a softy Patsy, I love it! I think paying for his purchase was a brilliant thing to do, just think how tickled his mother will be when he emails her about it!

I haven't done any major acts of kindness on this level, but try to do nice things all the time. I can do better than I've been doing though.

Holly said...

Listen here missy...you are not the braggy blogger I was referring to during our phone coversation! I LOVE your blog. You are hilarious, creative, real, and fun!
BTW, I donated shoes yesterday to a good cause ( I think it was all bogus that it was going to go to an African relief fund, but they are just shoes...take em!)

Holly said...

I meant to comment the other day when I read this and am just now doing it--whoops.

I think you did a very special thing that helped those young men out and made a difference--to you too. A very sweet win-win!

You are so tender hearted. Hugs!!

Murdlem said...

We have a little over three weeks till we also have a missionary. I am really going to miss him. We are in the hurried getting things done and ready place. Chad is going to Michigan. I am in awe. My daughter gave me my first grandchild three weeks ago. Life is amazing. What a blessing. Thanks for the cry. It will be a long two years. Ronnie