Monday, October 27, 2008

missionary update

I asked the missionary if he had heard of the problems up here in the good ol' US. This is his reply. I thought it was worth sharing :)


"I have heard some things about the whole economic problem and all that. It sounds prettty hairy up there. Hopefully things dont get too bad. I love the United States. Sometimes the people dont want to talk to me because I am "gringo" or they do talk to me but they dont do it very nicely haha. They like to tell me that I am prideful... that might be true but I dont understand the whole stereotyping deal that they have here (: One day a guy told me to go home because the problems were in my country... "and thats why you live in a shack" I almost told him haha. One day an older guy, not really old, in his late fifties got mad at me. I told him we were missionaries yada yada yada (not seinfeld yada yada yada jaja) and he said "you, are coming to tell me this, you are coming to ME to tell me this" he had his voice raised a little and seemed a little peeved. So, I raised my voice over his so he would hear me and said "yes, I come to tell YOU this... repent of your pride" and walked away. I thought my companion was going to have to change his underwear. Dont worry, I didnt yell at him and it wasnt because I wanted to be contentious and it wasnt. "

"I am really happy right now. I am content. I feel a little pressured sometimes with my calling to set the example but it motivates me to be better. I know that I am here for a reason and that people are waiting for me."

Kids really do grow up.
Who knew?

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Brian is growing up! He is having some great experiences that will mold him into a great young man(not that he wasn't before).

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

Go Brian!

Rachel said...

Wow! I mean, really - wow! (Also, I love the Spanish "jaja" in there!)

Janae said...

Wow! What experiences he is having. It sounds like he is doing awesome and setting a very good example:)

michelle said...

Your last two sentences just made me smile.

Jill said...

Great update from the missionary! I always wonder how I'd respond if the missionaries approached me (if I weren't a member).