Monday, October 20, 2008

heading into town

Driving into town you see a lot of deer & smell a lot of skunk. PU. Cody is 60 miles east of Yellowstone so ya- there's a lot of wild life around. I missed this picture of a neighborhood- but you get the idea. Houses are mostly made of wood & lot are stained wood. There are loads of log cabins.
On the way into town we always pass this house. Brett says it used to be behind the Irma Hotel. Irma was Buffalo Bill Cody's sister. At the Irma (my picture of it is side ways & won't turn?) in the summer there is a mock shoot out every day at noon. In case you didn't know- Buffalo Bill Cody is the town's name sake. He's all over town & on everything. He was one cool cowboy. This is a shot of town driving in from the South Fork- I love that, "south fork," it's so-- you know Dallas sounding or something. I loved that show Dallas- do you remember who shot JR? Fireworks are legal here. Which makes me wonder- has anyone noticed all the dry grass around? I guess it's not a problem. I swear if we lived here my boys would've burned down the whole town by now, especially after our little fireworks show last 4th of July...This is Bubba's BBQ.
Brett's dad told my boys that when he dies,
after the funeral he want us to go there to eat...ya?Brett & both his sisters worked here at the local DQ. There's an advantage in life having a husband who worked at Dairy Queen. Seriously, who can figure out that menu?Misty Freeze?- Peanut Buster Parfait? What is that?- I wouldn't know what any of this was if it weren't for his inside knowledge. In the town we live in- DQ is big business! It's the hot hang out, I'm sure I've mentioned it before. Half the time we go there he comes out with something I've never seen before & didn't even know they offered. Who knows? Maybe in my quest for a more meaningful life I should get job there!?A lot of the stores/buildings are like this one- a cabin. Cool huh?!
And they sell bear spray- BONUS.
Brett's dad rides his horses in the mountains & has seen some. Scary.I really wish I would've had the chance to go shopping downtown.
It's the most darling little downtown. Loads of touristy shops & cowboy art.



Jack says this is where Grandpa gets his haircut.
He says everyone knows him here on a first name basis.
Actually he says everyone in town knows him on a first name basis.
It's that kind of place.

The wind ALWAYS blows here. I'm not joking.

This is probably the hottest place in town.
They have way more stuff at this store than we do in my town.


How is it possible that a remote wal mart has more stuff than a city one?
And how cute is this checker?!

She is so cool- I was too scared to ask for her picture & made jack stand like I was taking his picture... then took hers... I just couldn't resist!!
This picture on the way out of town really cracked me up.
Even the Chinese restaurants are log cabins.

I was so excited to do this post- a little piece of Cody. Now it doesn't seem so great. You know, I had this grand idea of doing a great vacation type post... ???????

I guess it's been a long day of catching up. Maybe I have PMS or something- I'm so crabby. Or maybe it was Trent up ALL NIGHT LONG!! I swear after 21 years of parenthood can I please have a night's sleep? That's all I ask for - consistent sleep. I know, I know- demanding? He coughed all night but hasn't coughed once today.... I got up, gave him drinks of water, got in his bed, that didn't work... finally at 4:00 AM I let him into our bed out of desperation. He had been into our room twice because his back was itching? He woke me up I think a million times to ask if I would take him downstairs to get something to eat- he was hungry...? He's afraid to go down by himself- oh the humanity!! And the worst part... every time I wake up at night I have to go to the bathroom. If I don't get up & go I can't go back to sleep. At 6:00 when Brett's alarm went off he was so happy & so was I, kind of. It was over yet all beginning...

it's been a long day- but I'm glad to be home.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I love this post.....sometimes (notice the sometimes) I wish I lived on a ranch in small town and then I come back to reality!!! I think I have read too many novels about cowboys or read too much pioneer woman!!! I love to visit towns like this!

I hope Trent sleeps for you tonight....you can send him to visit me tonight I am up all night!

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

What a cute town. I am sorry that Trent was up all night... rough stuff... that is somewhat intimidating that the lack of sleep never goes away really...

michelle said...

I love the self-portrait!

I think it's so weird that DQ makes things that aren't on the menu. My dad always gets a chocolate-covered cherry Blizzard. I went to get him one and I couldn't find it anywhere. Turns out you just ask them and they make it... what the?

How cute is it that you took a stealth picture of the checker?

Karrie said...

Hey I'm loving the post...but why does your hair not look bad in the blowing wind? I would look like such a dork and would probably never be able to live in Cody for that very reason.

Janae said...

I love this post...I was a bit depressed at the end thinking of how many more sleepless nights are in my future...but that's ok;)

I love that Brett has insider DQ info...I want to know more!
I also have to add my "two cent" on the hair picture...(and because of the hair discussion in your more recent post) That picture could be a hair commercial...your hair looks down right beautiful blowing in that wind! That's really not fair you know...

Jill said...

This was a fun Cody tutorial. I love it that Brett's dad wants you all to eat at the BBQ place after his funeral!

"Maybe in my quest for a more meaningful life I should get job there!?" This is just too funny!