Saturday, October 11, 2008

more than meets the eye

In my efforts to create a more purpose filled life I have started to simplify. I'm not really good at simplifying- in fact I am realizing simplifying is halting my ability to think or get things done. Being really busy is the way I have rolled for a long time. It's habit now- it's hard to undo. When I'm busy I get more done. Now that I am having days where I don't need to be anywhere... I am getting nothing done. I realized yesterday it's partly because I'm adjusting to my less busy schedule. For instance on the busiest day for me this week I got the most done around my home- on the least busiest day- nothing significant. Does anybody else work like this?After school (early out) I decided to have some just trent & me time. We went to our local Walmart- ya you heard it here- we went to walmart. My son in law after doing an internship there all summer- just got a job working at walmart corporate headquarters after he graduates. So I am now a walmart kind of gal (laughing out loud- I crack myself up.- I love you tony :) Taking Trent to walmart for fun? This is progress people! Taking him to the store when he was little was tear induced torture & instant humiliation for me. Being a seasoned mother by the time trent came along this was very, very difficult. I thought I knew what I was doing?? hear in lies the problem... I have/had so much to learn. Anyhow- He has come such a long way! He was delightful- we had a great time & I realized that I know way too much about transformers- seriously.
For instance- this is optimus prime- aka: "prime" at our house. He is the leader of the autobots. They fight the evil decepticons. We have loads of autobots (I'm much to embarrassed to say how many) at our house & NO decipticons- they are evil people.Transformers are pretty much everywhere at walmart. Look here a cool optimus prime pinata- wow.A- HA- this is what he was looking for- a three pack bumble bee. Bumble bee is an autobot & his vehicle form is a Chevy camaro dudes. He is way cool & more importantly the neighbor kid already has it. The three pack is on our list for Christmas or our list for when Trent's 60 sticker chore sticker chart is full. Last week - the chore/homework chart filled to capacity (after a month) & ya- we searched town for the $40 prime he had been working for- ouch. Is anyone else out there amazed that they sell out so quickly they are hard to find!? Honestly? Still it's well worth a lesson in responsibility & delayed gratification (something very difficult to teach to ADHD kids- trust me.)There is also a new Transformers game out there- those Hasbro marketing geniuses are always thinking. Aren't we lucky? I came around the corner to see this... the Ultimate Bumble bee. Unfortunately for me I went immediately into sticker shock & loudly exclaimed "$84.99- Holy Crap- this is ridiculous!" which brought on some laughter by passers by- & snickers from the nearby walmart employee. Seriously we are not buying this- luckily Trent didn't even want it. Holy moly people- what in the heck? (why do I have a problem with this expensive toy, yet feel no anxiety buying an American Girl doll? Am I sexist? A toy snob? Or do I just not get boys?)
My goal here today was to find an Optimus Prime Halloween costume- but they were sold out. Of course this was the only item sold out...

So off to Target where - they only had sizes 4-8. Bummer dude. But look at this little section of items!? Leaving the store without an autobot... almost brought on some serious anxiety. Again with that delayed gratification lesson- ouch. We did purchase a $3 transformer puzzle. we are supposed to get 6" of snow this weekend - so the puzzle= life saver for us all.

On the way out we stopped for a chocolate chip pretzel & root beer. This was so much fun! Trent I am so proud of you- you are such a great boy! Thanks for sharing a fun date with me.

Does anyone know how to make an optimus prime costume?- I may have to get online to see if they even sell them in a larger size. This is going to be a fun Halloween!

*can you believe we are supposed to get 6" or more of snow?

Our leaves haven't even turned colors all the way yet!

15 comments:

Karrie said...

I'm in major denial about the snow thing....

but oh my gosh I saw the perfect thing for Trent on QVC last night. It was a remote control car that was way cool...but it also transformed into a robot looking thing (transformer) that shoots out suction-cup missels....it was only $40 bucks plus shipping! It comes with all batteries and ready to use.

I love QVC and have ordered tons of stuff from them over the years and their remote controlled stuff is the BEST!

she'sonlyhappyinthesun said...

Looks like fun! That chocolate chip pretzel looks delicious... I am going to have to check those out.

Beth said...

This is so fun!

Thanks for the Trent and Mom pictures... I can't wait to show Uncle Jim! He will be thrilled!!!

Johnna said...

What a great time for you two. Did you check e-bay for the costume. Diana found a costume for Ukiah that way. I am glad that we are just having cold weather and no snow for now. Sorry sis!

Have a great day!

Jill said...

I really hope we don't get that much snow! I was under the impression it was a mix of rain and snow, surrounded by a whole lot of cold! I'm not ready for winter, and would like to continue to enjoy fall. Plus, I have to take pictures at an outdoor wedding in a couple hours...that's right outdoors!!

Holly said...

Sorry am I lame or what....what is an Optimmmmm ? costume? Is it a boy thing. If it is then that is why I have no idea!
That chocolate chip pretzel looks so yummy. I must get one.
Thanks for the phone call. It made my morning :)

michelle said...

6" of snow! We only had about 15 minutes of snow today. Our colors haven't turned yet either.

I loved reading about your date with Trent, and my favorite part was seeing your CUTEST purse! Wow.

Amie said...

Optimus what?! Obviously I am not schooled in transformers!

I so feel your pain about the busyness. I often say if I don't have to do anything I don't! You would think I would do fun things or get really organized.... I have not mastered time management.... but I want to.

She Loves To Make said...

You got some really cute pictures of you and Trent. You are right, it is progress to be taking Trent to the store for fun. I remember going shopping with you and him when he was little. Holy nightmare. He's so sweet now though :)
I can't believe this weather either! I want a good, long fall!

Unknown said...

currently listening to the transformers movie playing from the other room...

good luck finding the costume! we are on the hunt for iron man, because jack really wants to wear something "buyable." i guess i should feel relieved?!?

wende said...

i love progress! and i love trent, i'm glad you had such a nice date. i will keep my eyes peeled for a transformer costume.

which by the way...i know all about because growing up with all brothers, i played with them as much as the boys did. i love that you have only the good guys at your house! that is so funny!

wende said...

p.s. yes you must be a toy snob! just kidding! but just think about it, even though it's way too much money, the transformer will last just as long as an american girl doll, your grand kids will love both. plus, i never could bring myself to buy one, poor allie.

Kristy said...

Brave woman to go shopping!!! I have decided to shop only during the day when I can leave my boys home and I don't have to listen to them whine about the things I will not buy for them.

I will keep my eyes open for a costume.....did you try K-mart they always have a big selection of costumes.

crystal said...

I am seriously impressed by your Transformers prowess.

I can't believe you said "holy moly!" I thought my dad & I were the only ones who said that!

How's the foot???

Janae said...

OK...that snow was insane...I am glad it is over! How is Max sleeping in that horrible position?
Is Jack over the no dog thing?
I love the pictures with you and Trent. I hope you have made progress on the costume:)